I7 7700k VS RYZEN 7 1700x

ronan.stewart1999

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I am looking to buy new PC parts before black Friday and i was wondering what would go better with a GTX1080? Would a Ryzen 1700X or I7 770K go better? I want to play games mostly but on the occasion i want to stream to twitch and you tube. I want a solid choice that will last me at least two years down the line. Also the quality would be around 1080p and on the random occasions, 1440p. Please help :)

Hmmm...
I'd probably go with RYZEN.

Yes, the 1080p FPS can be higher with Intel but here's some advantage for the R7-1700X

1) AM4 platform may be upgradeable later to an even better CPU (i.e. ZEN2 8-core)
2) AM4 platform should be around a long time, thus replacing the MOTHERBOARD after Warranty expires should be easy (Intel may be problematic)
3) Mores cores/threads for multi-tasking especially if you want quality, CPU-based encoding (not just NVENC hardware acceleration)

OTHER:
a) If Ryzen you should get 3000MHz/3200MHz DDR4 memory in Dual Channel (i.e. 2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4)

b) COFFEE LAKE is a better choice if going with Intel IMO (compare cores/threads, frequency and price of CPU's)

c) future games will begin to utilize the cores/threads more with DX12/Vulkan so at some point the R7-1700X becomes the better CPU and it should easily last 5+ years.

d) RYZEN will start to do better as the architecture is optimize for once games/applications are created with an optimized compiler

OTHER:
if going Ryzen, research the system memory (DDR4) compatibility with the chosen motherboard to ensure it hits at least 2933MHz. some confusion there