Web browser takes too long to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I just did a fresh format and reinstall of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and now every time I right click any icon in my task bar and choose and option that would open a website, the browser takes a long time to open, 30 seconds to a minute. It doesn't matter what browser I use, whether Edge is default or Chrome.

While this is happening however I can manually open my browser instantly but then several seconds later another tab opens in the browser with my original click from the task bar icon.

Seeing as this is a clean install, I don't know what could be causing the issue.

*edit* It actually appears it's anytime the OS tries to open a webpage. Like if I'm installing a program and it opens a website etc etc the computer takes a long time to actually open the browser.

Solution

Once I installed the newest ME driver and Chipset driver it fixed the problem.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Windows 10 is fully up to date no other tasks are running. I used the Window media creation tool from the microsoft website to make a bootable USB to install. Again, if I open the browser(s) by click on the browser(s) icon it opens immediately. It's only if I click on a link anywhere else in windows or if while installing software it tries to open a page that it takes a long time to open the browser(s). Example of this. If I were to open the Kaspersky antivirus window and click on "My Kaspersky" at the bottom, it takes about a minute to actually open the browser. I did it while typing this and it still hasn't loaded an additional tab in my browser..... ok it just loaded and I'm a slow typer. lol about 60 seconds from click the link to it opening the browser.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Yes, I've checked for malware/viruses, no processes are using the cpu. It's a fresh install of Windows only hours old. I haven't even installed anything but chrome and my kaspersky antivirus on it. If it was a process slowing it down, wouldn't that also make it slow to open when I click the browser shortcut directly? If I click on the edge or chrome shortcut it open immediately but with the browser open if I try to open something like "My Kaspersky" from the programs window it still takes about a minute to open.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/programs-take-minutes-to-open-default-browser/cfc5ed3d-5a2f-4251-8096-e60bbc1134c7?auth=1 seems similar to your issue.

Do you have your preferred browser set in Windows?

If you uninstall Kapersky does that change anything?

Far left field...Maybe foul territory. I use Glasswire as part of my security. I have dozens(literally) of sites? addresses? thingys!!!! blocked. It's not a firewall but instead is sort of a firewall manager. If someone isn't experienced with WIndows Firewall, Komodo or some other firewall Glasswire makes it as easy as clicking a greyed out flame to block that line of communication. My point is is that every new connection or even a change in an existing connection(new version) results in an alert. It makes the ISP footprints in the sand much more visible and possibly could shed some light on where your PC is going wrong.

I would also check your Event Viewer for thos times it hangs.

Paste netsh int ip reset into a administrator command prompt might help. Bookmarking this page to see if this problem gets solved. Odd one, it is.

HnyBear

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Once I installed the newest ME driver and Chipset driver it fixed the problem.

Solution

rjorjg

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I had the exact same problem which I was able to fix by doing a repair and reset to Edge browser.
Settings --> Apps --> Microsoft Edge --> Advanced Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.