Need some input.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've been using 1080p monitors for awhile know, and I kinda want a nicer crisp resolution. (I don't like scaling my games resolution to 2/4k because is messes up the resolution). And I don't care too much for 4k because i don't think my pc can handle it with stable 60fps.

Here are my specs;
i7 4970k
980 ti
16gb 1333ghz ram
2 1080p 23in and 21in monitors.

Can I run 1440p 144hz monitor with my 1080p monitor with that set up? And still able to get 60FPS stable in games?

For reference point the games I'd use would be;
Guild Wars 2
Black Desert Online
Warframe
The Witcher 3
Skyrim
Xcom 2
Divinity Original Sin 2

I understand the first 3 are MMO games and rely on GPU and CPU. I currently get ~60fps in all my games at 1080p resolution most of the time. (Besides a heavily modded skyrim, or the MMO's with lots going on at once).

Any input on if I can run it stable 60fps, which monitors would be good to look into, or any other methods I should look into first are all welcome.

PS: For non-gaming related, I tend to watch a lot of shows and occasional movies (anime/ Youtube mostly tbh). And I occasionally work in Photoshop, but I could use my 1080p monitor for that.

Solution

It is not a yes/no or right/wrong answer. It depends on preference. I can tell you what I did and why, but ultimately it is up to you to decide if the same is right for you.

A higher HZ means you need a higher FPS for it to look better. If your system is capable...
You can mix 1440p with 144hz and a 1080p with 60hz, no problem. You will only game on one of them, so no conflict. But, You don't get a 144hz monitor to run 60fps.

I run a similar setup. I have a 5930k and 980ti. I overclock both, the CPU in particular (4.5ghz). I also game on a 1440p monitor. I tried a 4k but I would have needed at least a 1080ti (maybe 2) to game at the same settings. On 1440p, I can get stable 60fps in every game. This is my target FPS because I have a 60hz monitor. I also play several of the same games (divinity 2, skyrim (modded), witcher 3 and have tried GW2.
I also use photoshop, 3d render tools, etc.

If you can barely get 60fps now, something is wrong. I would look at your system.
HD or SSD? If HD: chckdks /f/r and a defrag.
Clear out %temp% and %windir%\temp
run malwarebytes anti-malware
use sysinternals autoruns to see what is running in the background.
Consider dropping vsync and using msi afterburner/riva tuner instead.

You should be able to get well above 60fps, perhaps 100.

If 60fps is all you want, save money and get a 60hz monitor. I can recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM3270QP2-LED-Lit-monitor-2560x1440/dp/B01LXPX9I4/
Flat (important for content creation, and editing). Perfect colors (pre-calibrated from factory). Only issue for content creation is the VA panel. VA is better for text (better contrast, better blacks) but the colors have a limited viewing angle. So when viewed head-on they are more vibrant than at the edges of your vision. To work past this I lean over (left and right) when using photoshop. I prefer this to the issues with IPS monitors (IPS glow, lower contrast, less well defined text (reduced clarity compared to VA) and just slightly gray blacks. If photoshop is big for you, get an IPS. Such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Momentum-326M6FJSB-Monitor-Adaptive/dp/B072MFLHDX/

if you go over 60hz, consider a g-sync monitor so you don't get tearing.
https://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-g-sync-monitors/

Cost is no object?
I would love to have this one:
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I'm a bit new when it comes to tech specifics, so I don't really know what the 144/60hz really means. I can put a computer together easily enough, after that Idk where to even start haha. So if you got any links to learn up on that I'll gladly take a look.

For the games I mentioned.
Skyrim; I can get 60 unmodded, once it is modded, its more around 45fps with an avgerage of 52 or so.
The Witcher 3; tends to be 48-53fps average.
Gw2 its usually 60+ fps until I enter a city with lots of players in it for example.
Divinity, Warframe, Xcom are usually 60FPS too.
Black desert isn't an optimized game so fpscan range from 10-60fps anywhere, anytime.

I was more concerned about not dropping below 60fps with 1440p resolution. It hurts my eyes enough going from 60fps to 43fps. I can't imagine dropping from higher than 60 to 43fps.

I'd like to see what people have to say and absorb as much information as I can to help make a smarter decision. Be it to buy something other than I'm looking for, or to not buy anything at all.

If you want 144 FPS on a 1440p, your 980ti won't quite make it unless you reduce the settings. This was part of what made me buy a 60hz for now. I looked at a lot of monitors and in the end, I appreciate high refresh rates but I valued clear text and accurate colors more.

The HZ is the refresh rate of a monitor. How fast the screen is drawn. You want your FPS and your HZ to about the same. If they are not you get tearing as the monitor will draw stale data at some parts and updated at others. You can buy a 144hz monitor and run it at a lower refresh rate. Which speeds are supported vary from monitor to monitor. You should be aware that most very fast monitors are not good for photoshop because they tend to not get the colors quite right.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So if I want "nicer looking" graphics in games, do I want higher resolution or higher hz?

Secondly, I'd like G-Sync but its too expensive. But I feel like that is what would fix one of my main problems with my PC and games.
When I move around the camera, for example in Skyrim, the screen doesn't feel as smooth. Compared to say, looking through a camera IRL.
Is that what you're talking about with matching your hz and FPS? (I'm currently on a 60hz 1080p, and get 60FPS).

It is not a yes/no or right/wrong answer. It depends on preference. I can tell you what I did and why, but ultimately it is up to you to decide if the same is right for you.

A higher HZ means you need a higher FPS for it to look better. If your system is capable of sustaining OVER 100FPS in a game then the ideal refresh rate would be 100hz and cap your FPS to 100 to match. This would be very fast and fluid.

A higher resolution means you view more detailed images. So if some Nord was drawn with 200 pixels on a 1080p monitor that Nord would be drawn with 370 pixels on a 1440p display.

G-Sync works by dropping your refresh rate when your GPU is not up to your settings. Suppose you play 3 games Your heavily modded Skyrim, where you can only get 60fps, CS:GO where you get 144 fps and Divinity where you get 100 fps. G-sync would drop your refresh rate in Skyrim to 60hz. If you get bored and decide to go shoot stuff in CS:GO it would automatically raise the refresh to 144hz with no action on your part. Later in Divinity it would have the Hz at 100. The smooth game would be CS:GO. The least smooth would be Skyrim. But none of them would have tearing. G-Sync does not actually set your hz to a specific number it varies up and down with your current FPS, I simplified this so my example made more sense.

On your 60hz monitor, what you want is for your frame rates to for your framerates to be stable and at exactly 60fps. Some settings like v-sync are handy because they cap the FPS to your current refresh rate, but v-sync has a bit of overhead which can lead to stuttering for some. For this reason most on here recommend MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner (included with afterburner) as better and free alternatives to v-sync. It does not work with all games.
Built in to NVidia drivers (in the Nvidia control applet) is Fast-Sync which is like v-sync in that it only caps the FPS to not exceed the refresh rate. This will also smooth out the graphics as the FPS is more consistent and eliminate the tearing which comes from too high a FPS, but does not help when FPS drops below the refresh rate.

For my tastes, a good 1440p display does more than a fast one. Not that I would be mad if my display could go faster. I just didn't want to pay $8550 for the better monitor when for my use the $310 one performs as well or better in most regards when it comes to my needs.

Solution

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I see, that makes more sense now.

So you said you use a 1440p 60hz.

So your images have more pixels in them, making them look nicer. And the 60hz making the FPS be 60 as well.
To see if my PC can handle more than or equal to 144fps would I just benchmark on Valley or another bench marking software?

Like I said earlier. I know how to put the parts together. But once it comes to changing settings in the BIOS or pannels such as the Nvidia control panel. I get lost.

I'm also looking for a monitor within the 200-300 range. I can't see spending $900+ on a monitor without being loaded in cash haha.

But I definitely want a new monitor, I'm tired of 1080p. blurry texture, and the like. But What I'm most sick of sounds like a Hz problem.

Or maybe a Response time problem?

Based on what you told me so far, I was able to look up a video, from Jay2Cents, and it emphasized what you told me and I have higher understanding now.

So my next question is, would a 1080p 144hz monitor be an okay purchase? I'd like to buy a monitor, and not feel the following month "man wish I spend $100 more and got 47% more value and performance increase instead". If that makes sense.

My best example would be in Skyrim, while looking around, panning the camera to view a landscape, it feels a bit blurry or jagged(?) as I pan the camera, instead of fluid and smooth.

I would suggest you first see about getting smooth fast frames at a constant FPS on your current rig using some of the above info. Then go to a store and look at a 1440p monitor. Then ask yourself which you would rather have.... smoother animations and the same blurry textures or more detailed textures and the same frame rate.

Another factor is DPI. I was previously using a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, and liked that. I bought a 28" 4k and hated it, I run it at 1440p as a 2nd screen. I bought a 32" 2560x1440 and I was concerned that the DPI would not be high enough for me (since it is 10% lower pixels on a 5% larger screen compared to my 30"). But quite the opposite. I love it.

Once you settle on what is right for you, then it is time to look for deals and that sort of thing. I linked to a 32" 1440p that I use and like very much. I originally bought it for work, and it was universally loved there. We have now bought 12 more and continue to use them any time people are doing detail work. It costs 310 and I compared to to monitors costing more than double but their text was not as sharp. But that still doesn't make it right for you.
Once you settle on 144hz vs 1440p and what DPI/screensize you like, then go to pcmonitor.info and tftcentral.co.uk and read through a few reviews on monitors that meet your goals.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Okay I'll look into that, last question would be, do brands matter at all for how "good" a monitor is? Any brands I should stay away from, for either customer service or performance/price? I've mainly looked at Asus but they are a bit expensive. And I never see anyone talk about the standard brands, like Dell for example.

Some Dell monitors are really very good. The S2716DG is highly regarded and not the only one. I know the operator of pcmonitor.info uses a Dell as his personal monitor. I respect his knowledge very much, but I don't always agree with his conclusions.

As for Brands... I don't trust off-off-brands. Other then that I tend to keep an open mind.