I need some pointers on a new monitor

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
I'm currently looking for a thin (or no) bezel monitor with 1 ms refresh rate, at least 120hz, 1080p, and 23.8-24" monitor. That issue is solved, but I am confused on one part.

I've read that to get 144hz you need a dual link dvi, not HDMI (which I currently use).

I am sort of confused on the dvi-i, dvi-d, all the dvi's, and wanted to know if a dual-link dvi (I don't even know) connects to my MSI GTX 970 100ME and the monitor. That's also my question, does "dual link" connect to regular dvi ports? Or is there a special port for this dual link thing?

It's all confusing. I've never touched a displayport or DVI in my life, and it's time I need some educating on the types of DVI cables and which ones to use. If you can help me out, that'd be great.

Solution
Firstly, yes, you need dvi (or DP) for 144hz.
DVI can be a bit confusing. Best wiki DVI and have a look at the connectors.
99.9% chance your 970 has DVI-D(ual), so you just need a DVI-D cable and you're all good.

mrmez

Splendid
Firstly, yes, you need dvi (or DP) for 144hz.
DVI can be a bit confusing. Best wiki DVI and have a look at the connectors.
99.9% chance your 970 has DVI-D(ual), so you just need a DVI-D cable and you're all good.

Solution

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014

Hmm, seems that my GPU has both a dvi-i and dvi-d port (both seem to be dual). They both have the same number of squares but on the side is either a straight line or 4 boxes.

EDIT: Probably gonna use DP, as it supports gsync and it works equal to DVI. Less hassle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C05C1OK/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w