HELP! Can I turn my PC off? Windows 10

kutekingkirby

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
OK, so I'm setting up Windows 10 on my PC and have already put in the access code. Then I discover that there is no driver! I forgot to put in the cable from the hard drive to the motherboard!! Can I turn my PC off to put it on? Will the access code not work? Don't access codes only work once, will I have to buy another $100 Windows 10 access code if I turn my PC off?

Solution
you'll be fine, once the PC connects to the internet and windows activates it will be tied to the hardware. Before that point windows does not know if you have used the key before and will accept it regardless. Once it has activated on the hardware you can still reinstall it with that key as often as you like but it will only activate if the hardware is the same.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
you'll be fine, once the PC connects to the internet and windows activates it will be tied to the hardware. Before that point windows does not know if you have used the key before and will accept it regardless. Once it has activated on the hardware you can still reinstall it with that key as often as you like but it will only activate if the hardware is the same.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

If you forgot to connect the cable from the hard drive to the motherboard, how did you install the OS?

bubbabean69

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017

i SO hope he answers

Rapcom1

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
FYI only for those that don't know. Windows 10 can be downloaded from the web or purchased on a USB drive. You can complete the process with the product key your using. Turn the computer off and plug the CD drive in and your system will detect it when you reboot the system. This will not effect the product key. It will look at the drive as a new add-on.

Although this is common knowledge which everyone knows, this has nothing to do with this thread.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I thought the answer was obvious, he hadn't installed the OS at that point just proceeded far enough to discover there was no drive attached.
But maybe I have it wrong. my guess is it all went fine and he never bothered to come back and tell us.

My guess is that you have the right answer. I also think that the other guys were not really keeping up with this thread, they were just posting for fun.