Cannot access NAS drives

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently bought a new laptop that has, unfortunately, Windows 10 preinstalled. Now, I cannot access ANY of my NAS drives. All I can access is their web pages. So, I now have 10 TB of storage that's basically on boat anchors. Lovely. Yes, netbios over tcp/ip is enabled. Yes, network discovery is on. Yes, access was perfect under Windows 7. What now?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
USAFRet: The WD MyCloud, WD MyBookDuo, and Seagate GoFlex Home show up under Network/Storage. Double click, and they open up just like any internal drive. Which means that my desktop can be backed up but my laptop cannot. My MacPro also has no trouble accessing the NAS boxes.

USAFRet

Titan

Then I'm thinking there is some proprietary application needed to access those specific drives.
Was installed in your Win 7, but not in your new Win 10 laptop system.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's the interesting part. I had another laptop that I upgraded in place from Win7 Home to Win10 and on that box I had no problems opening the three NAS drives. I downloaded the Western Digital Discovery app and it says no drives are connected. I've run the sc.exe command, netbios, and whatever I've found on several Win10 forums. Nothing works.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's the kicker. First, everything that can be shared is shared. I stumbled across a kludge fix. Instead of selecting Network and double-clicking on one of the devices as I always did in Win7, WinXP, etc., I double-click on "This PC and then can double-click on the NAS device and VOILA! the device itself opens.

Why Win10 worked normally on my laptop I upgraded from Win7 Home Premium to Win10 but not on my new laptop is beyond me. Unless this change is courtesy some idiot coder in Redmond who thought changing how the UI worked would be cute.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
My NAS is a QNAP and it behaves differently on different windows 10 machines with some being able to access it easily and others not. And all of them set up and installed by me with the same settings. Windows networking is just weird.

The saving grace though for me is the QNAP Qfinder pro app has never let me down on any of them so I just use it to map network drives and access them through a Drive letter - easier than going through the network icon anyway and once you have it set up it seems to be very reliable.

USAFRet

Titan

Which Qnap do you have? I have the TS-453a.
Yes, that qfinder works wonders.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right. I got access to the NAS drive contents. I click on "This Computer" and voila! the drive appear and I can view all the folders.
Downsides: 1) None of the shares / folders shown for the three drives by my Win7 or OSX units appear. Only the generic media device folders.
2) I CANNOT add files to the NAS devices. the Copy option is greyed out.
What a crock of horse hooey.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sounds like guest access, do your NAS devices have a user name and password and have you set it up on the new machine?
For example my NAS has a public folder anyone on the network can see, but you have to be logged in to the NAS to see my network shares.

Sometimes you can avoid that by using the same user name and password to log into windows.

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly the same here.
Either the generic publicly exposed folders, or log in and see the folders that have been shared.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All three units have public folders. The WD boxes have that plus TimeMachineBackup and SmartWare folders. The Seagate also has Personal and Backup folders. When I connected by Win7Pro box to the network, the three NAS appeared under network and a simple double-click would open the drive and show the three default folders. Double-clicking on any opened them just like an internal drive. Same thing with my MacPro under Snow Leopard and Lion. And when I upgraded my former Toshiba laptop from Win7 to Win10 it also exhibited the same behaviour as my other boxes. So, apparently it's NOT the NAS but Windows 10.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, another piece of the puzzle.I tired resetting the network, and uninstalling and reinstalling printer and network sharing.
Also, I was at a meeting today at a site with open wi-fi. at least five other laptops, including one macbook, connected, my LG phone connected, and my Kindle Fire connected to the wi-fi network. My Win10 laptop saw the network and "connected" but it never displayed the required log-in web page. I tried to call up the page using the address shown on my Kindle as well as the network properties and neither could be displayed. I used Edge and FF57 on the laptop and no success with either. The Kindle had no trouble showing the log-in page using Silk, nor did my phone using Chrome. What now?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've logged into the units but no go, Joe. This is frigging ridiculous. I can't open any of my NAS drives except for their web page. I can't copy files to any of them. I can't download files from any of them. I can't access files on any other computers on the network. My primary computer says I don't have access or permission, yet even on my Mac Pro 1,1 running OSX10.7.5 I can do all of that. My 8 year old Toshiba Netbook running Windows Lobotomized can do all that. My old Toshiba laptop that upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 could do all that. What gives? Is it Windows 10 or has HP totally foregone being the leader in technology and usability?

Lutheran

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Try this: https://www.schkerke.com/wps/2015/06/windows-10-unable-to-connect-to-samba-shares/
Worked for me and my WD NAS.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you. I'll try it when I get home. Maybe this is also why my Seagate GoFlex Home NAS shows as having no files on it via explorer but shows everything via Seagate Dashboard.