Worth paying 14,5% extra from EVGA's Single fan to SSC-DT?

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016
I want to buy an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (Non SC version) 06G-P4-6161-KR.

Would it be wise to pay 14,5% more for the GTX 1060 SSC DT GAMING, 06G-P4-6265-KR version, considering both have the 3-years warranty?

I imagine it's not worth it, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Thank you very much for your time.

EDIT:
I live in Brazil, the prices that I have are as follows:
GTX 1060 6GB NonSC, single fan = BRL 1031 or USD 320
and
GTX 1060 6GB SSC - DT = BRL 1181 or USD 366,60

(prices in USD according to Google).

EDIT2:
What about the GTX 1060 SC GAMING, 06G-P4-6163-KR, for 11,4% more, BRL 1149 or USD 356,63.

Which do you think would be the best choice?

In real life use their performances won't be that different. What you get at higher prices are things like better heatsink/fans, faster clock speeds, better voltage regulation, lights. If budget is an issue and you just care about performance, I'd get the nonSC one.

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016

Thank you.

I'm mostly worried about lifespan and product quality over the time, because I won't be wanting to upgrade this anytime soon, if ever before it just dies or something.

Budget is not really the problem right now. I've seen some things about the NonSC having an "Intel stock" level heatsink and early problems about overheating (hitting 90ºC under load). Mostly are old, and seems to have been fixed.

Even then, it has the same 3 years warranty.

Do you think the supposedly (or factual) better cooling solution is worth the 11-14% increase in price?

And if "Yes", which would be the best choice? The SC has a higher OC than the SSC(DT), so is it the best choice for ~3% lower price than that, or somehow even the DT will end up being better than the SC?

askingcarpet22

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017

I have a 2-yo single fan 750ti which is pretty close and it gets to 75ºC under 100% load. As long as you don't do crazy overclocks and clean the heatsink every once in a while they're just fine

I'd opt for the dual fan. The single fan coolers traditionally result in a warmer GPU which I don't like. OC'ing a GPU is not that hard. Doing reasearch over at Youtube or other how-to sites can help. https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/ can OC your card so the factory OC may not be so importantMSI AB is a great app for that. The dual fan design should also be quieter. They can, at lower RPMs, cool just as well as a single fan model that's has its fans spinning faster.

That is some people's thought process. If I can OC at home why do I need to spend more at the store. Why? Binning is why. It's not as simple as make GPU, PCB, shroud and the rest and put together. The GPUs must be tested. They then must be separated depending on performance. This chip doesn't overclock at all but it's solid at stock speed. That goes in the reference(aka vanilla or stock) card. This one OC's very, very well. Put that one in the FTW or SSC model. Not all GPUs(or CPUs) OC exactly the same because of microscopic differences in the silicon. This is why an OC model is preferred by some. Even if they aren't going to OC it further themselves they know their chip is "better" than a stock GPU.

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016
@askingcarpet22 Thank you.

@aquielisunari Yeah, while the SSC-DT is dual fan, the SC has a better chip doesn't it? So I am thinking of getting the single fan SC version because of that, I'm not thinking about overclocking myself, so it should be enough heat-wise.

Or at least EVGA's website makes it look life the SSC-DT is an inferior version to the SC single fan.

Here's the heatsink of the NonSC version, looks really lame:
14-487-260-13.jpg

And here's the SC version's heatsink:
14-487-261-13.jpg

I think I'll choose the SC, the increase in price isn't fair in my currency, but still it should be a better choice.

I'm open for ideas.

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016
I will buy the SC version. All I want is that is doesn't become faulty, even if it's still in the 3 years warranty.

Previously I had a GTX 750 Ti that after ~9 months started showing some HDMI problems, which thankfully was exchanged by the store for free into my current EVGA GTX 1050 2GB SSC.

Thanks for your replies.

Nice. I like to see these questions turn into solutions.