Screen resolution 1024 x 768 still wide

rezog12

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
My screen became square, quite large stripes of black appeared on left and right side and "Sleep" function/button disappeared from the start/shutdown option. I restarted, checked resolution in settings, - it is 1024 x 768. I checked if drivers are up to date for display and monitor through Device Manager. Haven't found video card (have it integrated) driver in Device Manager though. My screen resolution is at 1024 x 768 now but screen is really wide, letters are stretched horizontally and really short. Sleep button still missing from Start/restart.
I've updated windows 10 with a small unessential update hoping it would solve the Sleep button / resolution problem to no avail. When I restart the loading windows icon is correct resolution, but as it enters in user switch screensaver, it becomes wide again. Oh and one more thing, in Start / Power I have Update and Shut down, Update and restart options now, however, when I choose either one, the updates are not applied and restart options read the same.

Thank you so much for any solution to this

Rezo

Solution
Your screen is wide as it shouldn't be on 1024 x 768, it should be
15.6" HD 1366 x 768
so I assume there isn't an option in display settings to make screen resolution match monitor size?

as for sleep, can you right click start button
choose power options
in the settings screen, in the right column, under Related settings, click Additional power settings
in left column, click choose what the power button does
in right column, click change settings that are currently unavailable
turn on sleep here if its currently off

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this a custom PC or brand name?
If custom, what motherboard does it have? what CPU?
If brand name, what make/model?

So nothing is showing under Display adapter in Device manager?
right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

in the pop up, click "save all information" this will let you save a text file of the info provided. Upload that to a file sharing site and hare link here
DXDiag should at least tell you on the display tab what it is using

rezog12

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi Colif, thank you for this solution. I have emachines, E442 but I've updated CPU. Here is the link to DXDiag info: https://www.dropbox.com/s/luye8c19yblxfjd/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

My bad, I have graphic card info in the Device Manager - I just didn't know it was graphic card. Driver is up to date, says "Best driver already installed".

Thank you for any help. Sleep button still missing. Letters too wide. I have Update and restart / Update and Shut down options int he start menu even though I did choose each multiple times. Sleep button is still missing. Thanks!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
this one? http://www.swsd.sk/img.asp?attid=218351

dxdiag shows this as a PC but all the links show a notebook? (CPU installed is for a notebook)

is this the gpu?
ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics with 256 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2), OpenGL® 2.0, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.1, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1
as DXDIAG is showing your system supports DX12 but that GPU doesn't?

Article Number: GPU-624
ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.
No additional driver releases are planned for these products.
The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Driver-Support-for-AMD-Radeon%E2%84%A2-HD-4000%2c-HD-3000%2c-HD-2000-and-older-Series.aspx

... well, that is a pain.

sleep not being there could be because another driver isn't working.

Can you right click start button
choose run...
type winver and tell me version?

Current version of win 10 is 1709 Build 16299.64. Based on the version number of your display driver, I suspect you are on 1703.

I would go to this web site and click the 1st button. It will download the upgrade assistant which, when run, will get you to newest version of Win 10 and may fix your screen problem

rezog12

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Colif thanks again. GPU is ATI Mobility Radeon 4200 Series. I have a notebook, I'm sure :)

Windows version is 1703 indeed. I'll try to update once more. The assistant is very intuitive and easy to use, thank you for your links. I'll update and and report. If that's no good, thinking about windows reinstall.

Thanks

rezog12

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Completed the update to 1709 16299.44 - my sleep button / option is still missing from start and display is still skewed. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your screen is wide as it shouldn't be on 1024 x 768, it should be
15.6" HD 1366 x 768
so I assume there isn't an option in display settings to make screen resolution match monitor size?

as for sleep, can you right click start button
choose power options
in the settings screen, in the right column, under Related settings, click Additional power settings
in left column, click choose what the power button does
in right column, click change settings that are currently unavailable
turn on sleep here if its currently off

Solution

stclairsolar

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4580
After installing/updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the display appears corrupted/flashes green
Some TVs EDID reports incorrect support for 12bpc or 10pbc colors format but can't actually support this format. Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the OS now configures by default the display to its highest reported capability requesting the driver to send 12bpc or 10bpc format where it was using 8bpc in the previous release resulting in color corruptions/green flashing screen/green bars scrolling. To avoid this issue, manually configure your display to 8bpc:
1) Go to the NVIDIA control panel
2) Select Change Resolution panel
3) Select the display
4) Section 3, change to use NVIDIA color settings.
5) Change the Output color depth to 8bpc.
6) Save changes.

The bug is fixed by Microsoft and will be available in a future update to Microsoft Windows 10. If you are a Windows 10 Insider member, the update is available now:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/11/22/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17046-pc/