Windows 10 (creators) update causes black screen with cursor

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
My parents' old Windows 10 PC was working fine until a large update took place (I believe it's the creators update). Now after the sign in screen I get a black screen with a mouse cursor. I've seen numerous workarounds (disable fast startup, uninstall graphics drivers) but I cannot try them out as:

- I can press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the option to open task manager but after I click on it I simply return to the black screen.
- No commands like Windows button + X seem to do anything on the black screen.
- I entered safe mode in order to try uninstalling GPU drivers, etc, according to various solutions online but it's problematic as well. When I hover over the task bar (or do anything really) there's a "loading" mouse cursor and if I click a few times I just get a "Microsoft Windows has stopped working" message.
- I did a system restore (there was a point right before the windows update) but for some reason the problem persists.

Specs:
Intel Pentium D 2.66GHz
Nvidia GeForce GT 240
Gigabyte GA-8194PLGE-RH
2GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 32bit

As a last resort I could do a clean install of the OS but I'd rather avoid that. Any help will be much appreciated.

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

I assumed that it wasn't a hardware-related issue since the PC was working fine with Windows 10 prior to the update. I have updated my question with specs.