Slower Win10 after copying files

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi guys

Recently, I've installed a SSD as my main system boot drive and later I got my old 1TB HD as my secondary drive just for files. I've moved the location of Music, Pictures and Videos folder to a folder in this HD.

When copying the Music folder that was on my notebook in a domestic network I decided to stop the process and closed the copying window, big mistake.

The music folder on the D: drive became unaccessible until I've boot the machine. Now is working fine but the folder icon is the standard now in the drive D:
In the This PC area of Windows Explorer it still appears as a blue music note, nothing changed there.

Although everything is working fine the computer is not performing as it was before. Opening a program like Gimp now takes up to 2 sec but it was instantly before. Windows start is slower as well.

Things that changed during this process: relocate system folders to D: 200GBytes added to the HD: Error when canceling the copy of these files: creating a homegroup and sharing files then deleting it.

I really wish my PC to be as snappy as it was before, my OCD is killing me. If you guys have any clue of what to investigate please share. I'm even considering a fresh installation :/

Thank you very much,

Ricardo

Solution
Hi, deleted everything in drive D: and relocated the system folders to my users folder. Icons got normal again and W10 did a good jog restoring those folders but performance was still the same. Stuttering few seconds to open almost everything.

Format C:

Reinstalled everything it's snappy again. Looks like those Windows 98 and Me left few traces on the modern Windows.

But now I can breath normally again :D

USAFRet

Titan
Its hard to tell exactly what you did:

"relocate system folders to D:" What 'system folders'? The Libraries? Or something else?
How, specifically did you move the Music/Pic/Video location? There is a specific process to do this.
Your D drive is the 1TB?

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Folders: Musics, Pictures and Videos. I right clicked the folders in This PC and properties>location> change the address to D:\My Documents\Music, etc then OK
Is it right?
Yes this drive D: is my old 1TB HD formatted that now has only 2 partitions. Used to be my system drive

USAFRet

Titan

The specific procedure depends on which OS.
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

It seems you did it correctly.

During your Copy and subsequent Cancel process, that may have corrupted some thing, leading to this slowdown.

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
During your Copy and subsequent Cancel process, that may have corrupted some thing, leading to this slowdown.

Anyway to check this? If not should I go for a fresh install?

Also, I've notice many small hits (9%) on the D: drive while windows loading apps at startup, and a medium hit when opening Gimp, about 25%. Do you believe if I had made a simple folder not a system folder Windows would be constantly checking that "slow" HD? This could be an way to speed things up.

I don't see a problem navigating through Explorer to open a video or whatever. Did it because seems cool.

Thank you USAFret

USAFRet

Titan
In my system, I have several folders on other drives, dedicated for specific file types.
3D and CAD gos on that drive, videos go on a different drive, photo work on a different drive.
The standard Doc/Music/etc lives on a different drive.
All SSD's.

You don't have to save them in the Library folders, no matter where they live.
Most applications today will remember the last folder you saved things in, so that makes it pretty easy.

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I'm gonna delete everything in drive D: and locate those library folders back and see if I get back the previous performance, otherwise a drive C: format will be done.

I can post the results here if anyone is interested

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, please do.

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, deleted everything in drive D: and relocated the system folders to my users folder. Icons got normal again and W10 did a good jog restoring those folders but performance was still the same. Stuttering few seconds to open almost everything.

Format C:

Reinstalled everything it's snappy again. Looks like those Windows 98 and Me left few traces on the modern Windows.

But now I can breath normally again :D

Solution