Can my laptop use G-Sync on an external monitor?

Solution
The answer from Razer is that the Razer Blade does not support G-Sync. The HDMI port is wired to the GPU, the Thunderbolt3 port is not. And since HDMI doesn't support G-Sync, there is no way to hook up the laptop to an external G-Sync monitor and have it be compatible.

Thanks you for your help guys!

agg03041

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

Hey nice to see you again @bjornl, seems like you are always answering my questions!
I believe the gpu has to be directly wired to either the hdmi or or the thunderbolt3 port to be able to support gsync though, though I don't know much about these things so all this is second-hand knowledge. Any idea if that is the case for the razer laptop?
I am in the process of contacting Razer about this as well to see if they can confirm that it supports gsync on an external monitor.

G-Sync is not supported over HDMI. You would need to use a USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter.

Hi again yourself.
I'm not sure about the 'hard wiring to the GPU to work thing". A port which works sufficiently well to drive the monitor is wired close enough, or so it would seem to me. Like Glenwing said, I don't believe you can use HDMI. I think you have to use usb-c. But I think you are already doing the best thing and contacting Razor. They would certainly know their product better than any of us.

Yes. Though Thunderbolt 3 uses the same adapters as USB-C, you don't need to look specifically for "Thunderbolt 3 adapters".

agg03041

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
The answer from Razer is that the Razer Blade does not support G-Sync. The HDMI port is wired to the GPU, the Thunderbolt3 port is not. And since HDMI doesn't support G-Sync, there is no way to hook up the laptop to an external G-Sync monitor and have it be compatible.

Thanks you for your help guys!

Solution