New Dell U2518D, games tearing (solved by returning the monitor back)

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Hello guys, so till now i was using my old LG flatron L1960tr, all fine, but 19" screen baceme too small over time.

All is fine, but when i enter a game (playing Neverwinter, but just to assure myself that its not problem on game's end i tested it with World of tanks too) There is visible tearing of the screen, after doing some research it has probably something to do with V-sync function, because from what i saw on youtube listing like V-sync tearing, it looks exactly like what it does to me.

On screen it appears like some part (horizontally) overlaps the other, leading in not smooth look, sometimes it happens once a minute, sometimes more frequently but it is visible.

I tried setting my V-sync (in nvidia control pannel) to ON, fast, adaptive or OFF, with tripple buffering ON or OFF (these settings usually solved the issue for most people online from what i read), but it remains the same for me. I am pretty sure that the old monitor did not any of these since i noticed it after couple of minutes in game (and i played a lot on the old monitor, noticing nothing), i also tried setting the V-sync ON in-game, still the same, also limiting FPS to 59 (below my monitor's refresh rate, didnt help)

Is there anything else i could try to do? If i understand it right, in the nVidia control pannel, if i set in tab "use advanced 3D settings" and do some changes there, it will overlap my game's settings and use the controller's settings instead?

End note, i was also wondering, why old LG monitor didnt have these problems since both of these, LG and Dell have same 60Hz refresh rate and i didnt ever care about some V-sync settings on old LG anytime, having 100+ fps smoothly:

THANKS for any help!!

Solution
Just to add a reply to my post, it ended up me returning the monitor, since the tearing was so noticable and so frequent i just couldnt live with it. I posted the same issue on a local forum (czech forum) and i got a reply from another guy with exact same problem. I also tested the monitor with my friends PC and it did the same thing, so it has to be monitors specs in some way.

Bought Dell U2515H and im (except for the dead pixel - and i have tried 4 of them, all had one) happy with it.

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Little bump to my post, the more i think about it, isnt it weird that V-sync function didnt solve the issue for me? Seems like most of other people experiencing it dont have problems after turning it ON.

Btw, GPU is GTX 1050Ti 4Gb from ASUS

Which resolution do you use?
I assume you are using 2560 x 1440 @60Hz? Your old monitor used 1280 x 1024. That could be your problem, the video card is slower with your current higher resolution. Try 1920 x 1080 or lower

Delete all previous installed graphics drivers with ddu uninstaller and reinstall the nvidia.com driver without geforce experience. Only change vsync in-game.

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Hey there, thanks for reply, i tried 2560x1440 @ 60 and the 1920x 1080 @ 60 too, still the same, tried deleting all drivers yesterday, installed clean installation of new drivers, still the same

The game i was talking about runs stable at arround 100FPS, so video card being slow (if you meant it like it has low fps and not catching up) is not the problem

Even worse it is in Team fortress 2, where its really visible even in like training sessions if i move camera left-right.

Will try to record it and post youtube link later today.

Also will try different monitor (samsung 24F350) and see results, its also 60Hz

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Thank you for time spending replying, just got home so will test it and let you guys know asap

I suppose if i try to record what it does on screen with some recording program it would not show right? Since it would record the data internally and not from monitor? So the best chance to record it is via smartphone or something?

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
So i tried what helpstar advices, "knocking on wood" but it seems like i was of some help?

I tried setting my desktop resolution to 1280x1024 @75, then i went to Team fortress 2, when i play the game without V-sync, and i stand at a spot (i usually just find a pillar on a building since its straight and i can easily say while moving my camera left right fast if its still straight or doing some artifacts) it was tearing, BUT when i turned the V-sync ON, the game just took a while to apply it and then its running all nice (there is really hard input lag) put the pillar just seems to be straight all the way.

From the short testing i did, it feels better even in the Neverwinter game. (1280x1024@75, 1920x1080@60 with V-sync applied)

I will do some more testing and if i find it not function again i will ask some more, for now, THANK YOU ALL GUYS!

Btw, so there are some more minor questions, how come, my V-sync in game wasnt funcioning till now, but now it seems it works? (i didnt do anything differently - truth is i reinstalled the drivers to newer version, plus i used different monitor with those previous version drivers, if that matters in any way)

AND, should i hard-apply the V-sync in drivers and use those settings over game's settings instead?

EDIT: plus one additional question, yesterday i did connect my second monitor while the first one was running and i made the second monitor being primary one (dont know if that matters just saying) then i unplugged it and kept using this new (secondary) dell, from that on, it has this little 1 pixel "framing" around the outer part of the monitor on all of the edges, like a little "no-go" line, for example preventing me to go all the way to top right corner to click "X" while i have webbrowser opened on full page, i suppose its just some settings but i cannot find where and which, please?

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
So unfortunatelly i'm back, Here is link to video showing what it does, happens multiple times, at the begining it happens at 0:14, then again at 0:56, with V-Sync turned ON in game, then again, after turning V-sync OFF, it appears at 2:20, so its happening with V-sync ON or OFF

I wonder whats that than, because if i turn the V-sync ON, it changes in a way (those artifacts that are torn apart are partially gone, especially on hard corners like buildings and pillars) but this problem is still there even with V-sync ON

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBUxbivS0zA&t=57s

SORRY FOR THE BAD QUALITY, hopefully its gonna be enough to demonstrate my problem.

I'm going back and forth to 1280x1024 at75Hz and higher res. Still the low resolution seems much smoother than higher ones, all im trying to prove myself here is if the display is working correctly, and how can i improve my comfort usability of the monitor

Your monitor is fine, it´s just that your video card, the monitor and the game in combination produce this tearing. Sometimes it´s not preventable in all games all the time and you have to live with it. If it´s that hard for you, you should get a g-sync monitor.

Also have a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpkinOKdwqE

BTW. your two monitors have different aspect ratios, that´s why a different resolution will get you a frame. Don´t plug while the PC is on, restart windows if the problem persists.

the new monitor (5ms) is slower than your LG (2ms), like 3ms from grey to grey, which can also lead to more tearing

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Ok, if you say the monitor is fine and that combination of all above is the problem, why all games does that? (specially when things are moving fast), does this specific tearing have a name? By which term should i try search for it on google, because i was not able to find anyone else with this problem.

I tried my friend's Dell U2716D and that was just fine, no tearing at all. Same refresh rate, same connecting cables.

Well, i saw the video earlier already, but that was of no help

I dont really need G-sync gaming monior, i just want one that doesent do this, input lag or tearing (the actual tearing that splits the screen into pieces caused by different fps than Hz of the monitor is not as distracting as this is), tested 2 other monitor Samsung S24F350 and Dell U2716D on my pc and both were running just fine @ Full HD @60Hz, this U2518D on the other hand, just tears, or flickers or whatever it is, on the same resolution and refresh rate.

Some more examples: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcq0sQN-m-zH27fNUUIzBQ/videos

videos from World of tanks, they have names (034) for example, means tearing in 0:34s of the video etc.

It´s definetely tearing, no other name for it. The videos you uploaded are showing splitted screens.

G-sync will prevent tearing for good

Can you try your monitor with your friend´s system?

Maybe downscaling of this monitor to 1080p is not working that good and for 1444p the graphics card/CPU can´t produce good fps.

Which preset do you use in your monitor? Try game mode and overdrive in the settings of your monitor

senzogamer1

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Just to add a reply to my post, it ended up me returning the monitor, since the tearing was so noticable and so frequent i just couldnt live with it. I posted the same issue on a local forum (czech forum) and i got a reply from another guy with exact same problem. I also tested the monitor with my friends PC and it did the same thing, so it has to be monitors specs in some way.

Bought Dell U2515H and im (except for the dead pixel - and i have tried 4 of them, all had one) happy with it.

Solution
Feb 20, 2018
I had the same problems as you, problems like screen tearing and screen shuttering. After a few tests I found a solution. I set as maximum fps of the video card at 60 fps, and any game at 1440p (native), and ... almost everything ok. Just a little shuttering. I bought this monitor through dell.com.br (BRAZIL). My configuration gtx 1060, dell u2518d.

Oct 28, 2019
Hi. I have read many posts where people had tearing/stuttering problems with this monitor.
Does this problem appear when playing videogames only?
My use will mainly be watching movies and video/photo editing. Does the problem appear during such normal use?