Pc monitor flickering and green artifacts. Sign of death?

fourosg

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Almost every time i boot up my pc my screen gets full of moving green dot and artifacts and flashes on and off. After a few minutes it gets normal again. I switched to another graphics card and the problem remains. I have an asus gtx 950 graphics card and a 6 year old samsung led monitor.
Could it be something else except faulty display?

Thanks in advance
H8F2UfI.jpg
jnym9MN.jpg

Solution
AFAIK these issues are solely from either a graphics card or monitor, thus if you changed the graphics card it SHOULD then suggest the monitor is at fault.

A DVD player or BluRay player would also confirm things, or even moving the PC and hooking it up to a monitor.

I don't believe a faulty video cable would account for this but I don't want to rule that out, so. In order I'm guessing:

1) monitor, or
2) video cable (unlikely), or

Nothing else?

fourosg

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Unfortunately i dont have any other hdmi device nearby. Could it be any psu or motherboard problem? i have a 650 watt corsair VS psu and i use pretty heavy overclocking on cpu, but its stable 24/7 for almost 1.5 years

AFAIK these issues are solely from either a graphics card or monitor, thus if you changed the graphics card it SHOULD then suggest the monitor is at fault.

A DVD player or BluRay player would also confirm things, or even moving the PC and hooking it up to a monitor.

I don't believe a faulty video cable would account for this but I don't want to rule that out, so. In order I'm guessing:

1) monitor, or
2) video cable (unlikely), or

Nothing else?

Solution

fourosg

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I found the solution for my problem. It seems that there was a problem with the hdmi port, as the screen work flawlessly with DVI cable and the flickering happens only with hdmi. In the meanwhile i bought a new screen and now i have 2 27" screens side by side :p

Glad it was sorted out.

Just FYI, there's a technique in troubleshooting called the 50/50 (or half split) method. For example, take the computer as a whole and then take the MONITOR as half and the PC as the other half (assign the CABLE to the monitor side)...

So if you hooked up the PC + different cable to another monitor/HDTV and it works you proved it's the Monitor + cable that's problematic. You then do the 50/50 thing again by swapping one of those components.

It's a bit trickier with some issues, but I do it for example with some major software issues that may or may not be software by booting a Linux distro. Network or whatever works now? Must be a software issue then and NOT hardware.