Can this GPU set up work?

clocklike

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
I found an amazing deal on this OptiPlex 790 Small Form Factor(SFF) pre-built.

$100 bucks for

i5-2500
8 gigs of ddr3 ram
250 gigs of HDD storage
Integrated Graphics(Open PCIe slot)
Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse

Now it has a PCIe slot, but I think I need a low profile GPU. I have a GT 740 EVGA Super Clocked 2G of V-Ram laying around with no use and I really want to use it. First of all, I don't know if it will even fit, but I'll take a gamble since it's kind of small for full card. Currently, the PSU is trash and only 280W, which I think only has 30-35W outputting to the PCIe slot. So this will need to be replaced.

However, I found an upgrade to 400w on newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V3J88623&ignorebbr

I don't have my hands on the PC yet, but could this work with my GPU? If not is there any other small form factor power supply out there 400W+ that would work better?

Is there a possible way I can fit a full sized gt 740 sc into this thing if I upgraded the PSU?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

card needs to be low profile

3884.bracket.jpg

clocklike

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Can I get some information as to why? I never really delt with SFF cases nor low profile GPUs. Could I just swap out the case that it's currently in? I've heard that some regular sized cards can work with SSF if you can fit in. Also, upgrading my PSU which would make it more likely I could do this, right?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

case size, your case cannot fit standard sized gpu's

yes, IF it has a standard sized motherboard, a lot of sff pre-built computers have custom btx sized mobos and will not fit into a standard case without modding

yes