Laptop mDP to 144Hz Monitor With No DisplayPort?

quantb

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
I have the MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro. I currently have a 60Hz BenQ, but I push 300 FPS and need a 144Hz monitor. I only play comp. CSGO. My laptop only has an HDMI port and a Mini -DisplayPort. The monitor I want, the BenQ XL2411 (144Hz), does not have a DisplayPort. How can I connect a Mini-DisplayPort cable into the DVI slot of the BenQ. Are adapters worth it and get reach 144Hz? The next model is the XL2430, but it's $50 more. However, it has a mDP 2.1 so I wouldn't need an adapter. What should I do? I could also get the ASUS VG248QE for the same price and it has a DP. I've heard the BenQ is better for CSGO, though.

Solution
HDMI 1.3 can support up to 1080p 144 Hz but it depends on the manufacturer to implement that capability. Most monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI, just because a monitor has HDMI 1.3/1.4 does not mean it will work at 1080p 144 Hz.

You can use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but it needs to be a particular kind, normal ones can only reach 1080p 60 Hz. DP to Dual-Link DVI active adapters are what you need, and they are extremely expensive and generally unreliable, so I would recommend just getting a monitor that has DisplayPort instead.

Don't get the XL2411Z if you have a laptop. The VG248QE is ok but quite an old model and generally not a great value. I'd recommend either the ViewSonic XG2401 or the AOC G2460PF.
HDMI 1.3 can support up to 1080p 144 Hz but it depends on the manufacturer to implement that capability. Most monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI, just because a monitor has HDMI 1.3/1.4 does not mean it will work at 1080p 144 Hz.

You can use a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but it needs to be a particular kind, normal ones can only reach 1080p 60 Hz. DP to Dual-Link DVI active adapters are what you need, and they are extremely expensive and generally unreliable, so I would recommend just getting a monitor that has DisplayPort instead.

Don't get the XL2411Z if you have a laptop. The VG248QE is ok but quite an old model and generally not a great value. I'd recommend either the ViewSonic XG2401 or the AOC G2460PF.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS