Windows 10 pc access Linux mint hard drives.

aspyr97alsq

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I have 2 internal sata Linux mint hard drives, a 400GB hard drive and a 1TB HD. The 1TB just has a login password and the 400GB has both an encryption password and a login password. I can remember no passwords. I want to access access the files on these hard drives as secondary extended storage drives (kinda like a flash/thumb dive). I want to see what is on there and copy any files I want to save to my 4TB extended storage D drive. If I can't do that I want to at least wipe and format these drives. Both these drives seem to work fine my uefi bios recognizes them fine and I can access the OSs fine but neither Windows 10 or my Windows 10 live cd recognize these drives. Can anyone help me access these drives through either windows 10 or ANY live cd? If you can't help with that I would like to at least get passed the password on them.

Solution

If the drive is physically 'non-broken', and you can access it in diskpart, yes.

Open cmd or powershell, and see what happens.
Be very very careful as to what drive you are accessing.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from aspyr97alsq : "Windows 10 pc access Linux mint hard drives."

Hi

Linux hard drives tend to be formatted in ext 2 or ext3 or other formats windows can not read without special device drivers

There are a number of companies and groups supplying the required windows device drivers .
Some are free and read only or fully featured and paid for

Paragon software produce both free and paid for ext drivers
Dont expect this to be much use for encrypted files or filesystems

The paragon paid for drivers enabled me to recover most data from a 1 TB drive from a nas with an ext 4 filesystem and many bad sectors which linux live cd's could not read

There are many live linux cd or usb which could do a similar job
I would recommend Parted Magic
There is a small fee probably 10 usd

Regards
Mike Barnes

aspyr97alsq

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017

I do have Linux mint on my Virtual Box do you think I could access the HDs though the VB? I can share files between windows and the LM VB.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming these drives are not broken, diskpart from the Windows commandline should do that.
Just be very, very careful as to which drive you are accessing.

aspyr97alsq

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017

but can I do that even though windows explorer doesn't seem to recognize them? they at least do not show up under my pc.

USAFRet

Titan

They do not show up in 'This PC' because they do not and cannot have a drive letter.
Have you investigated the myriad of commands available in diskpart?

aspyr97alsq

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017

So that is a yes? assuming it is that really clears things up thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

If the drive is physically 'non-broken', and you can access it in diskpart, yes.

Open cmd or powershell, and see what happens.
Be very very careful as to what drive you are accessing.

Solution