Upgrade to i7-4790k from i5-4690k?

feef27

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I was thinking about upgrading my CPU to an i7, would it be worth it to upgrade to the i74790k when I have a i5-4690k? I have a couple hundred to spend and I don't know what the best option would be to help with performance. I stream video games and would love a boost in performance with FPS, because the streaming software takes a lot out of my processor. Should I get a new motherboard with a better CPU? Not sure what the best option would be.

I have attached a link to my current setup.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Is your current CPU not meeting your needs?
Have you tried putting a good cooler on it and overclocking it?

If you upgrade the CPU, go to coffeelake (so that the upgrade is worth the hassle).

feef27

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

To be honest, I don't understand overclocking very much and I don't want to try it and screw up my computer. My current CPU does well, but streaming certain games can be intensive and cause low fps and some games take long to render.

USAFRet

Titan

If you're paying retail for that i7 (~$300+), probably not worth it.
At that price level, better to save up a little bit more and go to a whole new platform. Ryzen or Intel 8th gen.

Overclocking is fairly simple. The risks when you are already considering replacing the CPU would seem to be low. It is not a guarantee. You can have 40 chips and OC all of them and get different results on each.

If you don't want to overclock, and not everyone does, then consider upgrading to the locked CPUs. They are generally a better value when compared to the 'k' chips. The 'k' chips make the most sense to those of us who aren't looking for a 3-4ghz chip but a 4.5-5ghz one.

The coffeelake i5-8400 is very fast for a cheap chip. It won't overclock. It costs less than 200, but you would need a motherboard for another 100 and some ram from 80-150 (depending on quality, speed, and 8 vs 16gb)
The extra cores in a coffeelake should make streaming on your PC smoother. (they are 6 core).

But maybe you invest the following time. Go to youtube and watch a few videos on how to overclock and just think about it. It could be that all the speed you need for now is already available in your CPU (assumes you have a Z170 or Z270 motherboad)/