Does DDU (display driver uninstaller) Need to run in Safe mode?

nai249

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
I am looking to do a full reinstall of my NVIDIA drivers and I want to be safe about it. I have seen al lot of posts saying their screen goes black and wont do anything. Thanks.

Solution
Yes, DDU runs in safe mode.
There's going to be a time when you want to delete something and can't, windows won't let you because it's in use. In safe mode windows only loads windows, the OS, it doesn't automatically load all the rest of the additional stuff. This includes the gpu drivers set. So using DDU through safe mode allows DDU to get around that windows problem of non-deletion and can fully remove everything in the folders and the registry.
I've run DDU dozens of times over the years and never had an issue with safe mode.
I will warn you though, download a fresh copy of whatever drivers you wish to install and save it to your desktop. After DDU finishes, you won't have 1080p resolution, you'll have windows VGA drivers loaded...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, DDU runs in safe mode.
There's going to be a time when you want to delete something and can't, windows won't let you because it's in use. In safe mode windows only loads windows, the OS, it doesn't automatically load all the rest of the additional stuff. This includes the gpu drivers set. So using DDU through safe mode allows DDU to get around that windows problem of non-deletion and can fully remove everything in the folders and the registry.
I've run DDU dozens of times over the years and never had an issue with safe mode.
I will warn you though, download a fresh copy of whatever drivers you wish to install and save it to your desktop. After DDU finishes, you won't have 1080p resolution, you'll have windows VGA drivers loaded, which is 800x600, and will be huge and ungainly to deal with as your windows icons etc are set for 1080p still. Saving the drivers to desktop means you won't have to try and navigate through windows to find them.

Solution