Can't boot to Windows 10 CD from Sabertooth x58 motherboard

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
I can't boot from WIN10 installation CD to reformat my Windows 10 pc and start clean.

I'm using same Win 10 CD I used to format the first time a few months ago, when opened in explorer it works just fine, CD drive works and the CD itself has contents and setup launches ok.

I recently bought a Samsung EVO 500GB drive and cloned my bootable HDD to it, and set it top boot priority from HDD list. Also have the Static Storage as top boot and CD rom next. I also set my SATA controller to AHCI, IDE and disabled when trying different options.

I hit F8 to select CD Rom, it writes out:
CD-ROM Boot Priority ... Boot Ready

And then after a moment skips to asking me to hit ESC to boot within 10 seconds (or it does it automatically at the end of the timer) and loads Windows 10 normally.

How can I get it to boot WIN10 to format with it??

Here's a Video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jDGd3G5nQw

I've tried pretty much everything I know of. Quick Boot has been disabled, Sata controller is currently on disabled, I read that AHCI gives problems, IDE would probably be the better option.

Solution
Try putting DVDROM first in boot order.
Also - your DVD disk might be unbootable. If it's CD (not DVD), then windows install can't fit on btw.

Why don't you create bootable USB Windows 10 install ?

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017

It was IDE before I just changed it as was in the video, and i also tried to boot from CD as mentioned to no avail. Something seems to just default back to the Windows OS - should I consider just directly formatting the OS drive first off?

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
Ooh cheers Sky that might explain quite a few issues I was facing. So once that's done what would I do with the HDDs? Connect them to the black ports once again after SSD is formatted and format them as well from windows normally?

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017

Still didn't work unfortunately, I unhooked the HDDs, moved the SSD over to the intel SATA as you suggested, went to BIOS without really altering much, boot option I chose the CD and same thing happened, it booted again in Windows 10 even after saying the CD was Boot Ready. Have a video uploading on here, tried to show the PC rewiring but not much to see there and I'm positive I did it correctly. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJqyCLnWcY

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
I did use the same drive and. Same cd when first installing windows 10 which worked well and without issues, it appears as though the cd is found and detected but the boot process gets skipped for some reason. I'll report back but I jad already previously tried setting the dvd as first boot and it still skipped ahead

Edit: i don't have a bootable usb because I never really used one, always did it with a cd, although nowadays usb is all the craze, I'll look into making one if nothing else works

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
To update on this, I remember I did have a multiboot USB handy somewhere that I had completely forgotten about - and that worked just fine, so for some reason CD Drive is being completely ignored even when identified as a bootable location. I swapped all SATA locations and tried various settings to no avail - a bootable USB might be the simplest solution for most I suppose, and I'm quite frankly giving up with using CDs - may I never have to suffer them again.