Windows 10 update problem

nooboom

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
Hi! I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop with a broken screen so I basically use it as a “Pc”. I updated it and gave it about a day and plugged in my monitor. The monitor wouldn’t connect. I tried another monitor and nothing happened. I decide to press enter and when I did the screen changed a bit and restarted. I have no idea what to do now. Please help. Thanks!

Solution
Hoo boy. If you're lucky, Windows 10 will still be using your Win 7/8 hotkey drivers, and you can use the laptop's monitor select hotkey (usually Fn+F7 or some other function key) to cycle between the laptop's screen and external monitor.

If you're unlucky, Windows 10 automatically updated your "old" Win 7/8 hotkey drivers to newer generic Windows 10 drivers which don't work on your laptop. And now it's stuck displaying on the broken screen with no way for you to switch the display to the external monitor. If this is the case, the laptop is basically junk. There's no way to fix it, other than putting the hard drive into an identical working laptop, configuring Win 10 correctly with the appropriate drivers so Fn+F7 works, putting...

nooboom

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
A. I used a monitor,
B. I used a monitor,
C. Before I waited I plugged in my monitor, nothing happened. I looked up guides and it said to wait 6 hours to a day.

Hoo boy. If you're lucky, Windows 10 will still be using your Win 7/8 hotkey drivers, and you can use the laptop's monitor select hotkey (usually Fn+F7 or some other function key) to cycle between the laptop's screen and external monitor.

If you're unlucky, Windows 10 automatically updated your "old" Win 7/8 hotkey drivers to newer generic Windows 10 drivers which don't work on your laptop. And now it's stuck displaying on the broken screen with no way for you to switch the display to the external monitor. If this is the case, the laptop is basically junk. There's no way to fix it, other than putting the hard drive into an identical working laptop, configuring Win 10 correctly with the appropriate drivers so Fn+F7 works, putting the drive back into your laptop, then hitting Fn+F7 until the external monitor is activated.

You *might* be able to fix it by opening up the laptop and disconnecting the broken screen (there's a mini video connector going from the mainboard to the screen). This is pure speculation on my part since I've never encountered this situation, but desktop graphics cards have an auto-detect function to sense which ports have a monitor plugged in. If you disconnect the broken screen, the laptop may sense that the only connected display is the external monitor and use that by default.

Solution

nooboom

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
Well just a heads up, I press enter it restartes the laptop, I pressed fn + f7 it just closes the screen since on my keyboard it has a monitor icon with an x mark within it. Thanks for the help. I’ll just save for a pc! Thanks once more c:

You might have misunderstood the whole thing about "wait 6 hours."

nooboom

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
Ya know rocky you can stfu since you had no help to this post at all other than just being a lil prick. Thank you solandri for trying your best and for giving me valid information other than just loads questions and crap with no answer whatsoever.