Build for Parents: Web Browsing, Youtubing, Light internet use

Antalus

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I'd like to get a new computer put together for my parents for Christmas.

Approximate Purchase Date: Asap
Budget Range: $400 - $700
System Usage from Most to Least Important: My mother checks Facebook and my father browses Youtube
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: No upgrading. Building from scratch
Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Windows 10
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Preferred Canada Computers since there is a place in town. If not and its online, preferred Amazon, Newegg, NCIX.
Parts Preferences: Intel processor and the rest is whatever
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Additional Comments: The single most important thing is that I use an SSD for the OS since their only concern is how fast they can get to things. They are not tech savvy.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: They bought a prebuilt from 2004 and it is just so out of date.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
I hate to say it but when you get into the low budget everyday browser PC category it's better to just buy a prebuilt from bestbuy or another electronics store in Canada. You basically end up getting windows free not to mention a warranty and most come with new peripherals.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I love to build, but I'm going to be honest: you will be far better off buying a new low-end laptop or desktop from someone like Dell or HP, or even upgrading the RAM and storage of a used computer from eBay or a local used-computer shop.. You'll pay less than your budget, and get more-than-adequate performance for your parents' needs. An inexpensive new computer will come with Windows 10 Home pre-installed, so you can indulge your geek-side by setting it up for them and teaching them how to use Win10 if they aren't already familiar with it.

If you find a great price on a new computer that's a bit light on RAM and storage, you might upgrade them, although it may not really be necessary. And with any computer, your parents might appreciate a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

At one time I combined new and recycled parts to build computers for friends and family, but then I felt obliged to serve as unpaid tech support for the machine's lifetime. I still build my personal desktops, but but limit my work for others to RAM, drive and GPU upgrades on the existing machines when feasible; I'm always mildly surprised when a friend asks me to "look at" a machine that dates back to Vista, XP or earlier. (Even if I can find EISA, PCI and ATA upgrade parts, they're better off buying a cheap new computer off the sheles at Walmart.)

TRENDING THREADS