Issues with windows 10 installation

yousuf.rahman1

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
Hey all,

I purchased a Windows 10 Home CD key (from Microsoft website for $120) to upgrad from my windows 8.1 PRO. The installer (creation media tool) didn't allow me to chose HOME edition and forcefully upgraded to PRO (hence my CD key wasn't accepted).

I then created an ISO to a USB disk, rebooted PC, chose custom install but get the error message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?

Solution
There is no direct upgrade path from Pro to Home, hence why the installer put Pro on

The GPT error would be much easier to understand if it used English... I mean it does, but they could have tried harder.

The simple answer is Delete all the partitions on drive and click next

MBR is the old partition scheme that matched every version of Windows until win 8.
GPT was released to fix some of the limitations of MBR and is used in win 8 or 10

Win 10 recognises your PC supports GPT and want to use it.

There are ways to force win 10 to use MBR but unless you don't want to delete contents of drive, I wouldn't bother and let win 10 use GPT. Eventually all drives will have to be GPT as MBR max hdd size is 2tb, and soon drives will be over...

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is no direct upgrade path from Pro to Home, hence why the installer put Pro on

The GPT error would be much easier to understand if it used English... I mean it does, but they could have tried harder.

The simple answer is Delete all the partitions on drive and click next

MBR is the old partition scheme that matched every version of Windows until win 8.
GPT was released to fix some of the limitations of MBR and is used in win 8 or 10

Win 10 recognises your PC supports GPT and want to use it.

There are ways to force win 10 to use MBR but unless you don't want to delete contents of drive, I wouldn't bother and let win 10 use GPT. Eventually all drives will have to be GPT as MBR max hdd size is 2tb, and soon drives will be over that size.

Solution

yousuf.rahman1

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017

Thanks bro,
Your answer was much clearer than the one given to me by Microsoft Support Staff lol.

Anyways, I just cleaned the hardisk and installed it on it. It worked