Windows 10 Startup repair taking 17 hours

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
So, as mentioned in the title, I have been in startup repair for 17 hours and I am wondering if it should take this long. My OS got messed up during a windows 10 update, not upgrade, and I got the error 0xc000000f. I booted from a bootable USB installer and chose the startup repair option. I have heard that there might be a correlation to SSD size and how long startup repair should take, but for a 250GB SSD this is sure taking long. I have a couple more solutions I would like to try but I am unsure if I should turn off my PC to get back to the initial USB boot. Iʻve also heard that turning it off during startup repair can damage it. Is there any way to safely exit startup repair? And if not, can I still try my other solutions or would I just have to do a clean reset of windows 10? Help is much obliged

If you have any questions that you need in order to understand it better, feel free to ask away, and I will do my best to explain

Solution
That's how a new Samsung 850 evo 500gb came out-of-the box?! They must have wanted you to boot from it. Maybe it contains some interesting info or pgms on it. Why not first see if you can boot it as-is.

But then, yeah. After you're satisfied there's nothing on the drive you need, I'd use the installation pgm to delete the partitions, and then let it build what it wants for the install. Unless you want more than one partition for some reason. Win will want to align the partitions for best performance of a SSD.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
After 17 hours I would have to hit the reset button, myself. Long time ago. No repair will take that long. It is apparently stuck in a loop. You won't physically damage the PC. At worse, it would corrupt Win. But at this point, you haven't anything to lose. A clean install (if necessary) isn't that bad unless you have tone of pgms installed that have to be re-installed afterward.

After you shut down/reboot, do a clean-up with CCleaner (clean and registry both). See if it finds many errors.

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Thank you for helping out. I have a couple questions of what to do after. So after I reset it and get back to the Windows Installer media boot up, and choose the "Repair your computer" option, how would I go about checking the status or health of my SSD? And if my SSD does have problems, should I use chkdsk to fix it? Or would those problems be of no concern to the clean installation of windows?

edit: In general I am concerned that if my SSD is damaged, how will it effect the clean installation of windows 10?

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

It is a relatively new SSD, I built my PC about a year ago, so I guess it probably would not be damaged (Iʻll check just to be sure). As for booting up, I cannot boot up to Windows 10, I can only get the BSOD with error code 0xc000000f. I can boot into the installation media screen, having the "Repair your computer" option. So if I get into the safe mode, what would I do from there in order to get into Windows once again?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can get into safe mode, it would seem less likely it is a hardware problem (although not a guarantee). So, let's assume for now you have a software problem. I don't know if you can enter safe mode form a cold boot, but see what happens with the installation media; see if that offers a safe mode option. If you can get into safe mode, maybe you can do a restore to a earlier time.

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

So before I tried booting into safe mode, I ran a read only disk check (chkdsk) on the SSD that is in question. As of now it is still in stage 1, 288169 of 514816 done, and a ETA of 100+ hours. From my perspective this seems like the SSD may be at fault, but I canʻt say for certain since I honestly donʻt know much. It has given me a multitude of messages saying "File record segment ##### is unreadable", and I am not sure how to interpret that either. Would attempting to boot into safe mode be of any use now? does this indicate that the SSD is faulty and needs replacing? or is this just corrupted files and chkdsk /f would fix it? Btw thank you for sticking with me, I appreciate it a lot

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. Definitely have a SSD problem. I think it is hopeless to try to recover any data on your own. Might be fixable with a "clean all" operation from the command line, but that will wipe the drive. Are you up for a clean install of Win and all your pgms/data? If not, give safe mode a try. Not sure if Win 10 will let you enter safe mode from a cold boot, tho. It usually boots too fast to register a keystroke. Might try that trick in option 5 that I mentioned above.

If you need help using Clean all from the installation media, let me know.

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

Yeah, I am up for that at this point lol. Nothing on there that I couldnʻt re-download again. Iʻll give the "clean all" operation a try and then run another chkdsk read and see if it comes through fine. If not I probably have to replace it. Thank you for all your help in this debacle, it really guided me through some tough decisions and such. At this point either option leads to success in some way, so this pretty much wraps it up. Thanks again!

Illuminati_1

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

So I started the install of windows on the new SSD, a Samsung 850 evo 500gb v-nand if that helps, and I got to the "where do you want to install windows?" part but it seems that the new SSD has 4 partitions already on it. The first is 100 MB system partition. Partition 2 is labeled MSR (Reserved) 16 MB. Partition 3 is the primary, roughly 463.9 GB total and 463.7 GB free space on it. And the fourth partition is labeled Windows RE tools, and about 1.8 GB with 1.2 GB free space. Should I delete all partitions and make it all one unallocated drive space? Or would installing windows on the primary 463.9 GB partition be fine?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's how a new Samsung 850 evo 500gb came out-of-the box?! They must have wanted you to boot from it. Maybe it contains some interesting info or pgms on it. Why not first see if you can boot it as-is.

But then, yeah. After you're satisfied there's nothing on the drive you need, I'd use the installation pgm to delete the partitions, and then let it build what it wants for the install. Unless you want more than one partition for some reason. Win will want to align the partitions for best performance of a SSD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS