Ryzen 5 build keeps freezing: changed hdd and mobo, reinstall OS, still freezing

christopher.john.sr

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
The build is:
Ryzen 5 1500
Asus ROG Strix B350-F
Crucial 2x4GB
450w Bronze PSU
EVGA GeForce 1060
3 Case Fans & CPU Cooler
Windows 10

First, I am sensible, logical, and can build a system, but I still don't consider myself an expert, so everything is done straightforward, and there is no overclocking or tweaking.

My system was running fine. No crashes or freezes during games (Doom, CoD Advanced & Infinite
Warfare, PS2 Emulator). No overheating issues.

Suddenly, it started freezing. No problem, when my system gets corrupted, I just reinstall Windows clean, so I did(only OS and current apps on the drive so no real data loss). Freezing just after install leads into desktop.

Swapped out HDDs, begin clean install, and more freezing. Unplugged all hubs, game controllers, and extra HDDs. Left only the OS HDD. Freeze. Used an HDD that was never a part of my system, started clean install, freeze.

I have not felt substantial heat coming from the components.

*Note - same build originally had an MSI B350 Gaming Plus mobo, and when I start playing games, the system would halfway shut off (meaning I'd lose display, keyboard & mouse, but fans and lights still on). Replaced MSI mobo with current Asus RoG mobo, exchanged the GTX 1060 for a new one, and was gaming quite happily. Then, freezing began after a Windows update (possible coincidence as re-installs of WIndows still freeze, but then again, Windows might be updating while installing, and the conflicting update is still on my system).

As I write this post, I am installing a completely different copy of Windows 10 (maybe my copy is corrupted). Any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

christopher.john.sr

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
Problem appears to be solved.

It looks like there was some kind of conflict with the LAN and Windows update. After an install, I would be downloading drivers or installing downloaded drivers, and get a system freeze.

To approach the problem differently, I unplugged the ethernet cable so that Windows couldn't update while installing. After installation was finished, using gpedit.msc I turned off the automatic update service. I used a USB WiFi receiver, and downloaded all my mobo drivers. I unplugged the USB receiver, and put the ethernet cable back in, and so far so good.

I'm posting this so that maybe it might give someone an idea about their own freezing issues. I think the last round of Windows updates will play havoc on some systems, and only step by step troubleshooting and diagnosis will get you through.

TRENDING THREADS