New GPU won't stay running

Speeddemon3

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hi Everyone!

Last year I bought a second hand mobo and gpu for a better performance build and to actually play World of Warships without lagging. Just this week I decided to park my now "legacy" 6850 HD because it seemed to have fps issues and ordered a GeForce 1050.

It arrived yesterday and today I had some free time so I thought why not throw it in and have some fun. This was not turning out the way I had planned.

After installing the card the 2nd time (the first time I had not used the supplied disc because my optical drive was uninstalled) my monitor refused to come on. After looking for a bad connection or twist I realised the card wasn't on. I restarted the comp and watched the fans spool up but after about 5 secs the card powers off.

I have no explanation for this especially after the card worked this morning but refused to load the game so I figured I had better go get an adaptor cord so I could hook up the optical temporarily to load the drivers and Aorus support. Do I have a bad PCI slot?

Specs:

Cougar Panzer Max Case
Asus M5A97 Rev 2.0 mobo w/ 4300 AMD CPU OC'd
500 GB WD HD
AMD 6850 HD GPU/PSU powered (old) New GF1050
8 GB Hyper X Fury DDR3
430W PSU

Please if anyone has an idea let me know.

Many Thanks in advance,
Jason

Solution
Try the other PCIe slot on your mobo and you will find out if it is a bad PCIe slot on the mobo.

Make sure to press it all the way down. Sometimes when you belive you have the GPU seated all the way in its not.

If the problem still is there. Install your old GPU back in and see what happens.

If the problem now goes away you have one out of 2.

1. Your 1050 is broken.

2. Your PSU is faulty.
Try the other PCIe slot on your mobo and you will find out if it is a bad PCIe slot on the mobo.

Make sure to press it all the way down. Sometimes when you belive you have the GPU seated all the way in its not.

If the problem still is there. Install your old GPU back in and see what happens.

If the problem now goes away you have one out of 2.

1. Your 1050 is broken.

2. Your PSU is faulty.

Solution

Speeddemon3

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Ok will try other PCI slot!

Just a question....what would the psu have to do with it if it's slot powered? I reinstalled the old 6850 in the slot and it's running right now but this gpu is psu powered not slot powered.

Speeddemon3

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Well I installed the new card into the second PCI slot with the exact same results! It spooled the fans and shut down a few seconds later.

So calling this a bad card from GForce and will contact supplier tomorrow!

Thank you for your help sir!

Regards,
Jason