Windows 10 random crash, automatic repair screen, can’t refresh or reset PC

Gamrod

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Howdy everyone,

So for the second time in a week now, I get the following. Windows 10 crashes randomly, self reboots and immediately goes into automatic repair, diagnosis and blablabla. I don’t get BSOD, no error message, it just reboots.

Symptoms are as follow, only shortly (seconds) before it crashes : I get some mouse lag and when I click on various elements of the desktop such as taskbar icons, desktop icons, etc. nothing happens. I mean I see the actual click animation if I can say so, but nothing even loads. A few seconds and boom, self reboot, automatically goes into automatic repair mode without my doing.

My problem is that I can’t get out of it. I get the refresh and reset PC options, buy after a few seconds I get a message saying that there was a problem while refreshing/reseting and that nothing was changed.

I wasn’t sure what I was facing so the first time it happened I went to my local electronics store. The guys just reinstalled Windows and it did the trick.

I just wonder what can cause this, some random crashes with no BSOD ?

Thanks a lot.

Solution
Ah, sorry I missed that the specs were right there. Well, memory or HDD problems could show up this way so it might be worthwhile to let a diagnostic for one or the other run overnight. Since there are two sticks of RAM, a manual way of troubleshooting could involve running one stick at a time, or using different slots.
Re-installing Windows temporarily got things stable but I take it the issue happened again. A number of things could cause it though, so you'll have to go through some troubleshooting steps.

Do you know your PC's specs (or the model number, if a branded pre-built system)? How do you feel about popping the cover off the case and trying a few tests under our guidance?

In the meantime, let's collect some other results. Perform a clean reboot, wait a few minutes, and then open the task manager (right-click empty space on the taskbar or hit CTRL-ALT-DEL once) then click "more details" and observe what the CPU, memory and disk graphs say.

Try some diagnostic tools: Seatools by seagate can run on all model and make of HDD -> https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

For memory, there's either a Windows memory diagnostic you can search in the start menu (which will do a restart to run) or if you know how to make a boot disk, download and run memtest86.

Gamrod

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi,

My specs are in my signature, it is a custom build. From what you are saying it may be a RAM or HDD issue, something I have already read about earlier today.

Tomorrow I will be downloading Windows 10 on a flash drive, reinstall from BIOS and will follow your instructions.

So yeah, it is a custom build which worked fine for over a year, maybe RAM is failing or whatever. Tech-wise I am not a pro so I’ll be following your advice and be keeping you posted.

Next update tomorrow after I reinstall Windows.

Thanks for your input !

Ah, sorry I missed that the specs were right there. Well, memory or HDD problems could show up this way so it might be worthwhile to let a diagnostic for one or the other run overnight. Since there are two sticks of RAM, a manual way of troubleshooting could involve running one stick at a time, or using different slots.

Solution

Gamrod

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
So I’ll start with testing my RAM, but I has a question regarding the HDD. Since Windows is installed on my SSD, can a failing HDD cause my actual problem ?