Asus PC won't boot, stuck on preparing automatic repair and blackcreen. Won't repair or restore. Can access Bios

alesiaaa

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Hi everyone !
I've had my laptop pc for a few years and it never let me down until recently. I opened a word document and it froze on me, so I had to hard reboot. When i restarted it, it was "preparing automatic repair" with Asus logo followed by a blackscreen of death. Then a grey window appears for 1/4 second and i'm left with a black screen AND a cursor.

To try and fix it somehow, I created a Windows 10 bootable USB, went into the Bios to change boot priority and managed to get to the Windows troubleshooting options. However, absolutely nothing works except command prompt!

I did a chkdsk to find a lot of "file segment record ## is unreadable".

As a last resort, I entered notebook on commands and tried to retrieve some of my files that way. My c: drive displays nothing and I can't enter it, whereas my d: drive is fine and I can get files from it to the USB device (of course the d: wasn't where all my important stuff was!)

Has anyone had a similar problem ? Could it be a hard drive failure? Any way of fixing it?

Thank you so much for taking the time

Colif

Win 11 Master
was that a chkdsk /r that you ran?

/f : Will fix errors detected
/r : Will identify Bad Sectors and attempt recovery of information.

Is it possible to put hdd in another PC and try to copy data off C?

Even if chkdsk can fix the errors, I would still think about a new drive. Drive which has never had an error much better than one that has.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-record-segment-unreadable

Solution