Turning off computer doesnt "turn off computer"

TBxPsi

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
So before I start out I'm pretty computer savvy, my cpu is overclocked and such. Now for some reason if I turn off my computer with something like Chrome open, when I restart the computer it will be still open, if its a video it will continue exactly where it left off. ALSO today when I turned on my computer in the morning, THE YOUTUBE VIDEO WAS PLAYING IN THE LOCK SCREEN. Now I know windows 10 has this dumb fast start up mode. It's been disabled, I also disabled fast start up in bios. ALL i want is the computer to COMPLETELY shut off every night.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Fast startup in BIOS is not related to fast startup in windows.

In most BIOS, it either skips certain tests run on ram at startup, or can set PC to ignore all other USB except KB/Mouse at startup (speeding up process)
In windows, it uses hybrid hibernate instead of turning PC off when you hit shut down.

2 different things. Both designed to speed start up a little.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a new feature of windows 10 Fall Creators edition and yes, it can be annoying. Hopefully they work out that YouTube tabs shouldn't run at login screen

Anyway, there is no simple solution but there is a work around

[
Here's a silly workaround for the similarly silly new feature.

Some background first: Windows seems to shutdown as if %WINDIR%\system32\shutdown.exe was invoked with the /sg /hybrid /t 0 parameters. The magic is in the /sg parameter which tells it to "restart any registered applications" on the next boot. The "old" /s parameter still exists and shutdown can be invoked with it manually.

To quickly call shutdown.exe like that, create a shortcut either in your apps list (%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for all users, %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for the current user), or somewhere else and then pin it to start.

The important shortcut properties are the following:

Name: Shutdown
Target: %WINDIR%\system32\shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0
Start in: %WINDIR%\system32
Optional:

Name: Add a non-breakable space (Alt+Num255) in front of it to appear at the top of the All Apps list. You can try other fancy Unicode characters if you like.
Run: Minimized to prevent the ugly command prompt from popping up shortly.
Icon: Change to something nice (there's an XP-style shutdown icon available in the default shell32.dll, or some close / critical icons in imageres.dll).
Comment: Leave a rant here about the dumb new feature.

https://superuser.com/questions/1261910/after-windows-10-fall-creators-update-recent-used-app-will-launch-on-startup

win 10 never turned off before when you shut it down, it has always used Hybrid Hibernate so that startup was faster. This new feature is completely removed from Fast start up as it still happens even after turning fast start up off in power settings.

To turn Fast startup off, look here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast startup in BIOS is not related to fast startup in windows.

In most BIOS, it either skips certain tests run on ram at startup, or can set PC to ignore all other USB except KB/Mouse at startup (speeding up process)
In windows, it uses hybrid hibernate instead of turning PC off when you hit shut down.

2 different things. Both designed to speed start up a little.

Solution