Can't Load Any OS After Installing SSD

mmassey88

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Hello, I have a PC problem that I'm pretty stumped with.

I've been using a 3 TB Seagate ST3000DM001 as my main OS drive for about year now. I haven't had any trouble with it, but it can load data a little slowly sometimes, so I decided I'd try getting a solid state drive and using it as my OS and software drive, with the Seagate HDD as additional storage.

I got a 500 GB Samsung V-NAND 850 EVO SSD and installed it into my computer completely normally. Without disconnecting my original hard drive, I ran the Windows 10 installer from a thumb drive. I created partitions for Windows on the SSD, then installed Windows 10 onto said partitions. Everything ran completely normally until the first restart.

After the first restart that normally happens during the Windows 10 install process, my computer attempted to load the new Windows install from my SSD to complete the setup, but gave me a black screen with a blinking cursor. I figured something must have messed up during the installation, so I ran the Windows 10 installer from my flash drive again, formatted the SSD back to its original state, and ran the installer again, but experienced the same results. I then tried booting my original Windows install from my original hard drive, but got the same screen - a black screen with a blinking cursor.

After removing and reinstalling various hardware components to attempt to determine if any hardware had failed (including just removing the SSD altogether), I eventually reached a point where attempting to boot my original Windows 10 install from my original Seagate hard drive would display a blue screen with the following message:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors:

File:\Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment
Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press F9 to use a different operating system

I tried the various options listed on this screen but none of them have gotten me anywhere - Enter and F8 seem to do nothing, and F1 and F9 simply restart the computer. I've tried resetting my BIOS settings to the default settings, though I'm fairly certain they were already at more or less the default settings as I typically try not to change BIOS settings very much. I also reset the CMOS by unplugging my computer, removing the battery from the motherboard, waiting five minutes, then reinstalling the battery.

I ran the recovery environment from the Windows 10 installer on my thumb drive and tried pretty much every option available, but didn't have any luck. I tried running some bootrec commands in the recovery environment's command prompt too, but it couldn't detect any Windows installations.

From what I've gathered, the error I receive that mentions winload.efi is a sign of something being wrong with how the computer boots operating systems. The system is definitely not having any trouble detecting either the HDD or SSD, or any other hardware for that matter, because it lists them in the BIOS. While I was in the recovery environment's command prompt, I was also able to flip through my HDD's file system a bit, and all the data seems to be perfectly fine. But for some reason, my computer just can't boot any operating systems.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss for what I even did in the first place to cause this to happen. Thank you.

Solution
That's where you messed up. You NEED to disconnect the old HDD from the system while installing. Otherwise, the Windows installer may NOT create a new MBR or GPT boot partition. If it does not, then the bios will not normally boot correctly to the new windows installation because it will still try to read the boot partition of the old device which will not be correct. Disconnect the old drive from the motherboard. Connect the SSD to the same header that the old drive was connected to, which should be SATA 0. Install.

Instructions on installing can be found at the following link. Follow the directions EXACTLY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html
That's where you messed up. You NEED to disconnect the old HDD from the system while installing. Otherwise, the Windows installer may NOT create a new MBR or GPT boot partition. If it does not, then the bios will not normally boot correctly to the new windows installation because it will still try to read the boot partition of the old device which will not be correct. Disconnect the old drive from the motherboard. Connect the SSD to the same header that the old drive was connected to, which should be SATA 0. Install.

Instructions on installing can be found at the following link. Follow the directions EXACTLY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Solution

mmassey88

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

That did the trick. Thank you so much for the quick and easy solution! I've done a lot of dual booting with different OSes before but I guess dual booting multiple Windows 10 installs on the same system is a no go. I'll consider my lesson learned.

Right on man. Glad that helped. Actually, Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 are all prone to this if you don't use a dual boot loader like grub or something to alleviate the issues with the confusion of the boot partition. I've even seen people that didn't realize they were using the boot partition from a drive they had deleted the windows partition from long ago and were using for storage.

Something happens and they remove the old drive or that drive fails, suddenly Windows will no longer boot on the newer drive with the OS installed because it was using the boot partition from the other drive all that time. LOL. It happens. Glad it was a quick fix for you though. Good luck.