Windows won't reactivate after new hardware change

xPhaze

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I did a free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 a while ago on an old Dell-motherboard desktop. Win10 was activated all good for a while, and tied to my Microsoft Account.

Now I got a new motherboard, processor, etc, but kept the same drive. Worked all good for a few hours, then started saying Windows is not activated on the bottom-right corner.

Went to activate, hit "Troubleshoot", hit "I recently made a hardware change", logged in to my Microsoft Account (and verified the device previously), chose the original device (Dell), and it just says "Unable to activate Windows. We can't activate Windows on this device. Try again later."

Tried it over ten times, still nothing.

Talked via chat to Microsoft support. (Very) long story short, he says I need to either get proof of purchase of Windows 7 (...from like seven years ago...) or buy a new copy! I tried telling him I see it activated on my Microsoft Account on the website, even sent him a screenshot, and he's just like, "I can't look at screenshots."

No key embedded in the BIOS of the old mobo because it was a Win7 machine; and the Win7 installation is long gone, along with the key.

Just baffles me because it was working all good and activated previously, and I prepared for the hardware swap by making sure to bind it to my Microsoft Account and then did the "Troubleshooting" thing afterwards, yet it's acting like there's nothing there.

Help?

Solution

No, this is incorrect.
Even starting from an original Win 7 OEM license, and then a valid Upgrade to Win 10...you can still move this license to new hardware.
The only case where it fails is with a preinstalled original Win 10 OEM, from one of the major manufacturers...

BringerOfTea

Reputable

Not if he went from a Win 7 OEM key, cant really remember but a mate of mine had to go thorugh an ordeal when changing motherboard with his win 7 oem to win 10 activated... but get a new oem key isnt that hard and only cost a 1/10. But warrants a new install of OS.

USAFRet

Titan

No, this is incorrect.
Even starting from an original Win 7 OEM license, and then a valid Upgrade to Win 10...you can still move this license to new hardware.
The only case where it fails is with a preinstalled original Win 10 OEM, from one of the major manufacturers.

Specifically, here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation
"Upgrading to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Digital license"

It does not make a distinction between where your original Win 7 or 8.1 came from. Only that it was valid when you Upgraded to Win 10.

(and purchasing licensed software from fleabay is one of the poorer choices you could make)

Solution

xPhaze

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for not making this clearer: The Windows 7 copy I had was a retail copy, not OEM; it was not from the old Dell computer.

Keep trying. Eventually mine went through.

Can you please elaborate? Keep trying the support chat? Or is there a better method of contacting them? I have some screenshot proof that it was activated before the hardware change but need someone that can actually take a look at that, unlike the support guy I talked to.

As for the eBay option, I see a Win7 OEM key there for about $9, large quantity sold, but I'm kind of wary about purchasing a key there. Is that even legal, according to Microsoft?

If I go that route, I thought of a way I might be able to re-get a 10 key without reinstalling everything: Use a secondary drive to install 7 with the OEM key, then do the free accessibility upgrade to 10, then tie it to a new Microsoft Account, then go back to the regular drive and log in with the new Microsoft Account. Might work?