help with a monitor upgrade

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
So my pc runs an i5 4440 , gtx 1060 6gb and 8GB DDR3
currently using a 9 year old 900p monitor

First off , I want to say that I'm trying to make my build as future proof as possible. In that regard , I was thinking id get a 19(or so) inch 768p monitor

So What I wanted to ask is is that sort of thinking valid ? I mean, budget restrictions aside, if I do go for a 768p monitor over a 1080p one does it mean the extra fps ill get on games will make my gpu last a year or so more than it would if it were on a 1080p one ?

Might sound a bit stupid but I hope I'm making sense

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Solution

It can handle them, but it won't maintain 60fps for smooth play.

I used a GTX 980 with my 1080P monitor. Quite a few games were more demanding on max settings than my GTX 980 could manage at 60 fps. GTX 980 is equivalent in performance to GTX 1060.

Examples of games that won't run 60fps on max settings:
The Witcher 3.
Assasin's Creed Syndicate. (Although that's mostly down to heavy AA which it needs.)
Homefront: The Revolution (Good game.)
I think Metro: Last Light.
I think Dishonored 2.

We...

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

but lower resolution in game would mean losing the image sharpness isn't it ?
Also what essentially is the difference b/w a 768 and 1080p ?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

You are correct that running games at 768p will gain you more FPS.

Buy a 1080p monitor anyway.
You did mention "future proofing" which is important for monitors because we tend to keep them a long time.
Any 1080p monitor will be able to do 768p or 720p if you need it to and you won't save much money with a 768p monitor. Also my old monitor was able to do 768p @75HZ which is better than the standard 1080p @ 60Hz
Do they even make 720p monitors anymore?

Also what essentially is the difference b/w a 768 and 1080p ?
resolution.png

If you were to stretch the white 768p area out to cover the blue 1080p area you can imagine how some picture quality will be lost.
Your rig should be able to do 1080p in most games.

Tip: Don't use a TV as a computer monitor. The flicker will hurt your eyes.
I just got a real monitor and it's 100 times better than the TV I was using.

gsen

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

nah 720p ones were like a decade ago I think :p

point is , I know I can lower the res if I need more fps but in doing that the images get blurry and stuff and that's really irritating :/

what monitor(model) would you suggest though ?

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
When I had a 17.4" 1080p screen laptop, I genuinely thought that was all I wanted in a monitor. I saw no possible reason, and had no desire to get a bigger monitor.

Then a few years ago I needed a better monitor for a PC. I had read about people saying bigger is better, and also higher dot pitch is better. Anyway I could not even find a 17.4" monitor anywhere, as they did not make them. Eventually I bought a 1080p 22", (which is actually 21.5"). ...... Immediately I loved it. Even though I had argued with myself for thinking I did not want or need anything bigger. It was way beyond better, than 17.4".

Then recently I decided I needed a bigger monitor for content creation. It would help in gaming to be bigger. However I knew that the higher resolution would be harder work for my graphics card to push. ... Eventually I bought a 27". .. Initially I thought it looked stupid. Even before I built it, I thought, "It's ridiculously big, what have I done".... It looked ludicrously big on my desk.

Then after about a week I was adjusting to 27". By two weeks I loved it. The higher quality panel in it, makes images better, than over my average-good 22". The size makes things easier to see. ........ In games it's almost like being in them, because stuff like buildings look so big. I have to look up to see stuff that is higher up on the screen, which adds to immersion. Rather than viewing a picture and moving it about, at 22". ... I find myself opening my eyes wider and relaxing them while gaming at 27", rather than squinting to see what's happening at 22".

I honestly did not know what I was missing. I actually prefer gaming more now than before, to the point where I would rate games higher in reviews. Like Doom 2016 on 22" rate: 8/10. On 27", 10/10. .. Lastly having two windows open in 27" side by side is easier, because there is more room.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if you buy wrong, you could buy twice. Or later you could well wish you bought different. To me now, 27" just feels totally normal. I could not imagine using anything smaller. It just feels natural. ....... Although I would not knock 22" at 1080p, and say that is the absolute screaming bare minimum anyone should need.

The downside is that games need huge GPU power to run maxed out in 1440p at 27". Although some gamers say they prefer having a larger screen and lower settings. Rather than larger screen and higher settings and slow frame rates, or smaller screen.

It's up to you, but that's the whole story. Most people I have seen write about this, say the same.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Me too.

If you want to know what your hardware is doing in games, try MSI Afterburner to monitor your CPU and GPU loads.

You will see which component is maxing out, and when. Therefor working out what's bottlenecking and when.

You will have to work out how to get the data you want displayed on your screen. You have to check and tick OSD (on screen display), and stuff like that.

It's a very helpful free tool.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

It can handle them, but it won't maintain 60fps for smooth play.

I used a GTX 980 with my 1080P monitor. Quite a few games were more demanding on max settings than my GTX 980 could manage at 60 fps. GTX 980 is equivalent in performance to GTX 1060.

Examples of games that won't run 60fps on max settings:
The Witcher 3.
Assasin's Creed Syndicate. (Although that's mostly down to heavy AA which it needs.)
Homefront: The Revolution (Good game.)
I think Metro: Last Light.
I think Dishonored 2.

We really need to be aiming for 60fps for smoother play. Even without v-sync at 60, games going under 60fps can get choppy. ... I recently was told it's probably game engine stutter.

To me it was like this. I bought my 1440p monitor with g-sync. I expected games to run smooth down to 30fps. They didn't, and I was upset. My GTX 980 was then redundant unless I started lowering settings.

I bought a GTX 1080 Ti. Have to say, it was an emotional experience taking my GTX 980 out of my computer.

However, having said all this, the OP's CPU won't maintain 60fps in quite a few games too.

Solution
are you sure it was GPU and not CPU problem ?
yes with 1060 60FPS is not minimum for every game, but it is still very smooth. Aslo, i see no point in getting 768p monitor when you can run the very demanding game at 768p on 1080p. though IMO lowering a bit some settings and playing at 1080p is better idea.