Building new PC - Just need W10 and Office. Best way to buy?

superytc7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Hi there. I'm building a gaming PC and the only parts I need to order now are Windows 10 and Microsoft Office.

The problem is I can't decide which to buy. On amazon the main W10 from Microsoft is £87. However, there are others listed below £20. Are these scams?

Having a similar problem with Office.

If anyone could send me a link to a recommended buy that would be great, as this is quite confusing. I'm in a tricky spot in that I don't want to get ripped off and pay £87 if i could get the same thing for £20. However, I also don't want to be scammed and find out that these £20 ones are not the real deal. This applies to both W10 and Office. I see an Office for sale for £7, when the one from Microsoft is over £100... Also, the official W10 from Microsoft has a lower average rating than some of these cheaper ones (Amazon).

Some extra info: My current PC was built 8 years ago and has Windows 7.

Yes they are scams. Purchasing from grey markets like that isn't recommended. Keep it simple and buy the $87 WIn 10.

It's a possibility those cracked/stolen versions work fine. Would I buy one? No, I purchased mine for $80 something too.

Same advice applies with Office.

Whether it's a Louis Vuitton purse or a M$ product there will be knockoffs and other types of scammers trying to make a buck without investing.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't want to get ripped off and pay £87
That's not a ripoff, that is what it actually costs.

If you came across 16GB of DDR4 RAM for £15, you'd run away laughing, right?
Software is no different. It costs what it costs.

And the Amazon 'ratings' are to be ignored completely. They very often just glob 'ratings' for the same theoretical product into one list, no matter where they actually came from.
So some/most(?) of those low ratings on the official MS listing might not actually refer to the official MS listing.
Yes, they do this.

You can download the Windows 10 iso file and Media Creation Tool directly from Microsoft and create the installation media on a BLANK 8GB usb flash drive (assuming you have a current working computer other than the new one). Then you can install Windows and activate it later with a valid product key purchased from Microsoft (they will e-mail it to you). The only time I saw a "discounted" product key that was legitimate was when Microsoft was offering Windows 8 Professional for $40 when Win8 first came out. I bought directly from them and they emailed me the key.

Wow 16GB now! I have my Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1 Professional installation media on DVDs, so the files are no larger than about 4.2GB. Haven't made the move to Windows 10 yet, so I guess I am missing out on all the "improvements" that require all that space.

superytc7

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Thank you everyone for your replies. All really useful.

I Wish I could pick all your answers as solutions, however I could only pick one so I went with the most direct, in order to help other people encountering or searching this problem.

TRENDING THREADS