Binman & street cleaner

fabiobs

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Since I've been a child, I love these jobs. I already have experience in those works. I sometimes feel that people's perception of those jobs hasn't changed a lot. Is it true ? In what way would it be dishonourable to do those jobs?

If you are like me, what do you like in those jobs? Would you like to do one of both or both? And why ?

Solution
In the US (although from the term "binman" I believe you are not US), residential trash pickup and street sweeping are generally jobs that are mostly driving a vehicle. Dense urban areas still use trashmen on the back of trucks.

Those professions are both solid blue-collar jobs. Many of them are union jobs in the US. They are looked down on for a couple reasons, IMO: Advancement. What does "moving up" mean? Most people don't want the same job for 30 years. Second, dirty/smelly. Those are not considered attractive working conditions.

Would I do either? I might consider starting a business as an independent street cleaner. There are many businesses that contract out having their parking lots cleaned. Add pressure washing...

kanewolf

Titan
In the US (although from the term "binman" I believe you are not US), residential trash pickup and street sweeping are generally jobs that are mostly driving a vehicle. Dense urban areas still use trashmen on the back of trucks.

Those professions are both solid blue-collar jobs. Many of them are union jobs in the US. They are looked down on for a couple reasons, IMO: Advancement. What does "moving up" mean? Most people don't want the same job for 30 years. Second, dirty/smelly. Those are not considered attractive working conditions.

Would I do either? I might consider starting a business as an independent street cleaner. There are many businesses that contract out having their parking lots cleaned. Add pressure washing services for difficult to clean areas, or benches etc. You would probably be working a lot at night when the parking lots are empty.

As a child, and even now at age 55+, I am still fascinated by heavy equipment operation. That was the job I wanted as a kid. I ended up being a computer engineer. I joke, that my "retirement job" will be working at a rental center that rents backhoes. I could still "play" with them but don't have the cost of ownership.

Solution
If they have to get their hands dirty some will look down their noses at it. Bleep them is my response. A low-brow response for a high brow snobbery.

I remember a wife saying something to the effect that her hubby came home stinking to high-heaven every day. He supported them faithfully. Might have been in a church when I heard that idk.

Someone doesn't do a bleeping thing, is a deadbeat parent and takes advantage of people's kindness can be looked down upon.

I would do either. You'd be surprised at what those guys make in a union or not. Their skillsets are usually very high. Mechanically inclined and experienced they are. Multiple vehicles they drive too. A mechanic I once knew was making almost $30 per hour and this was well over a decade ago. Not a suit salary but certainly one they can live on.