Automated Drive Backup/MirrorSoftware

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
A while I was thinking of creating a RAID array mirroring two identical drives, so if one failed, I would automatically have a backup. The experts here pointed out that since my main concern is mechanical failure, a backup or mirroring program would be better for me. I am thinking of EaseUS TodoBackup or Acronis True Image. I don't mind paying a few dollars for the best solution. Any thoughts or ideas?

USAFRet

Titan

1. RAID, of any type, is not a backup.
It only helps in the case of a physical drive fail. Does nothing for the far more common causes of data loss.

2. I use Macrium Reflect. Either paid or Free works.
Read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Gzy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
if i can chime in or perhaps piggy back on this post, i too am here seeking advice on backup advice/solution. i've had far too many hard drives fail on me, and while in the past they've been mostly movies and media, just recently it was my documents and pictures drive that failed and data that i lost. this data is very important to me, so i sent the drive out to drivesavers and sadly, it is a worst case scenario, complete loss, 0% recoverable!

i have a Seagate 4TB Backup drive I bought from Costco many years ago, I do use it as a backup, it's currently full (although in Windows 10 it's telling me i have 4TB available!?!), i really dislike the seagate backup software and the way it backs up my data (creating new folders with only the new files instead of a clone of my folders).

what i have in mind, and have had in mind for many years, is like a 4 drive bay, external enclosure, where i can house 4 -say 4TB- drives, and routinely I would plug it in, and using windows explorer, drag & drop my files/folders, and tell Windows to 'skip' the files that already exist, in essence, manually cloning/backing up my drives. i know there is software that could manage this although I'm not sure which or which ones are best.

i'd love to hear all the advice you guys have to offer. please advise!

USAFRet

Titan

4 bay USB3 drive enclosure:
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4
$99

I have one. It works great (except for the blue LED's are a bit bright).