Compatibility Report while reinstalling Windows 10

Smartphone2008

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Hey everyone, I hope this isn't a duplicate question but I'm sorry if it is. The other day, my cousin went to log on to his laptop, but it wouldn't load Windows. I've tried reinstalling it for three hours now and I keep running into a problem where, after I select the version of Windows where all of his files won't be deleted, (not the custom recovery option), a Compatibility report window pop ups that says "The upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows Installation media." It then continues and says to "remove the installation media and restart your computer and after Windows has started normally, insert the installation media and run Windows Setup." The problem is that I can't get to Windows at all, it's just a black screen if I choose the HDD instead of my USB Stick. The other problem is is that if I follow the Compatibility report's instructions, I get to a screen that says I'm missing a crucial media driver such as a USB, CD/DVD or a HDD." If anyone knows a possible solution or might be able to help in anyway, a reply would be much appreciated!

Solution
I believe the problem is (as is with most laptops) is that the standard Windows OS disk doesn't work. There are too many customizations made to the standard OS that need to be in place for the laptop to work. This is why they create recovery partitions and instruct new owners to make a recovery disk first thing.

Try going to the Acer eRecovery site, enter your serial number, and see if a recovery disk is available to you.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I believe the problem is (as is with most laptops) is that the standard Windows OS disk doesn't work. There are too many customizations made to the standard OS that need to be in place for the laptop to work. This is why they create recovery partitions and instruct new owners to make a recovery disk first thing.

Try going to the Acer eRecovery site, enter your serial number, and see if a recovery disk is available to you.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Smartphone2008

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks to everyone that offered their advice! Since the majority of you agree with Wolfshadw that the Windows partition is corrupted, I'm going to back my cousin's files to a separate HDD and then reformat the drive.