Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 MOBO: Asus X99 AII
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB X Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHZ Dual Channel 4x4GB 16GB kit
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 850W 80 Plus Gold
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDDx2: 1TB Western Caviar Digital
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p Nvidia GSync 144Hz

Hi

Due to issues I'm having with my system I would like to get your opinion on if I should downgrade to Windows 7. I had Windows 7 on my old Athlon 2014 pc then my i7 4790k build back in 2015/16 pc. My current pc is fast and powerful but I have a nagging issue.

In games I get a very random 10fps drop that causes my camera to freeze for a split second then catch up. Sometimes my mouse will get stuck for a split second on the desktop. I also reinstalled Windows 10 a long while back (I'm on the anniversary version) and all my driver's but no change.

On my old i7 4790k I did not get this issue, it ran completely stable. I had a Msi GTX 970 back then.

I have my data all backed up.

Is this an OS issue or a driver issue. Aren't the Nvidia 1000 drivers pretty much the same as the 900 drivers. Will going to Windows 7 fix my issue?

Thanks!

you couldn't downgrade even if you wanted to. windows 7 is not supported with modern CPU's that started with intel skylake CPU's, Ryzen doesn't have any windows 7 support too

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The issue can't be specifically to Windows 10. How long has this issue been going on?

I'm thinking that there's got to be some other program hammering at your system at least on occasion to exhibit these symptoms. Alternately, a problem with cooling will cause the CPU or GPU to throttle back and might also do it.

that link only talks about how MS is extending support for security updates. this does not mention anything about windows 7 drivers being released for modern CPU's

Ye I'm no stranger to DDU and I have already mentioned in my original post that I have reinstalled my drivers.