Future Thinking HDMI 2.1 TVs, Soundbars, PCs.

brenden.a.mertz

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Is there anything one might consider to be a limiting factor if you had a 4k TV 120 Hz with HDMI 2.1 inputs, a soundbar with an HDMI 2.1 pass-through, and a PC that could push 4k @120Hz with HDMI 2.1 outputs as well?

I know some stuff about computers, TVs, etc. But I do not know it all, would this setup even be taking full advantage of 2018's technology?

(no, I do not want a monitor for multiple reasons - first one, my wife doesn't like gaming and a monitor would be a dead giveaway).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A limiting factor will be availability, for sure.

Consider HDMI 2.0 - it was announced/released in terms of spec in mid 2013 - and it wasn't really prominent on mainstream hardware until mid 2016, a full 3 years later.
2.1 is just at that point now.

Rumours would indicate late 2018 as the absolute earliest -more likely 2019.
Even then, it'll be even longer before TV's with "true" 120Hz @ 4K will exist. 120Hz 4K TV's currently use some guesswork to display 120Hz, with current TV's using HDMI 1.4 for 30Hz still being common. 2.0 TV's do exist, but they're not too-too common.

2.1's spec allows 4K @ 240Hz, even 8K @ 120Hz....... so would that proposed setups be taking "full" advantage of the spec? No. But the limitations in available hardware, (from an 8K 120Hz capable GPU, to a compatable TV) is going to be what restricts you.