Disk 0 Partition 2 Suddenly Appeared in Disk Management & Optimize Drive ?!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Quick Windows 10 question.
Recently my Windows 10 user got randomly corrupted (by Microsoft's bug) and also couldn't automatically download and install Windows 10 version 1709.
So called MS and they guided me through downloading 1709 ISO and installing it directly from Windows to fix my current Windows installation and update at the same time.

Now after the new update/install - I went into Disk Management as well as Optimize Drive and suddenly found a new partition. One I can't remove, merge or do anything about!

E07OrPt.png

Disk 0 Partition 2
In Optimize Drive it has a really weird messed up name.
In Disk Management if I right click on it - I only get "help" in the tooltip. Nothing else.

What is this about?
How can I remove it? Merge it into C?
Or maybe just hide it from view?

By the way that "boot" partition was manually created recently after Windows wrongly installed the boot logger file on the wrong drive (HDD which I removed).

Thanks

Solution
Hey guys? I just need to close this case down and make sure everything is set up correctly here:
1. Should I leave the BIOS setting of Primary GPU as Auto? Screenshot included.
2. I changed Windows Device Installation Settings to "NO (your device might not work properly) " - why exactly is that recommended? Won't it cause issue with plug and play and device & driver recognition?
If everything else is working properly- should I change it back to "YES (Recommended)"?

(I kept the BIOS setting as Auto (no changes) for now. Especially after finding solution 3# written above.)

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

One more thing - Windows 10 suddenly wants to give me these updates:
UCWpWt1.png

Intel Graphics 4000???
What the hell?
I use an Nvidia GPU and have this PC for years and never encountered that.
How do I remove those updates? Especially that bizarre Intel Graphics 4000?

Also I just installed a new Nvidia Driver - so not sure why it wants to 2 drivers...

without knowing your PC specs it sounds like the integrated GPU is enabled alongside the dedicated GPU.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

GPU: Asus 1080 Ti Strix OC Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600MHz (XMP profile)
SSD: 256GB Crucial M4
SSD #2: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: Corsair RM850i
Case: Corsair CC600T Graphite White Special Edition
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Extra Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 1440p 27" 144 MHz Nvidia G-Sync
TV: Samsung KS8500 65" 4K TV
AV-Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR-656

It's most definitely a bug. I never had Intel Graphics 4000... It's a PC not a laptop too. First time Windows update does that.
I need to remove it somehow. I don't want to install unnecessary drivers.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

How do I remove Intel Hd Graphics from Bios?

About disabling auto driver updates: why do you recommend it? Is this something you are using?
Wouldn't that cause issues with plug and play functionality of USB devices , such as Xbox Controllers and stuff?
USB and other Devices that would normally get installed and upaded instantly and automatically by Windows 10 as plug and play?

Also what does that recovery partition does? And why is it called:
1bea1bea-000...... In Optimize drives?
Thanks

there is a setting in the BIOS you would change

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah I couldn't really find it. What am I looking for exactly and what should I change which setting for?

I just don't know if disabling device installations (auto updates) is a good idea or not.

it may be called something different then you think. all motherboards have a feature that will let you combine the Intel GPU with your dedicated CPU and every manufacturer may call it something different. all everyone in here is asking is to turn off driver updates only, not all updates

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

1) OK. I turned off driver/device updates as instructed in the guide Snipergod87 sent me above (selecting NO in "device installation settings").
I asked my previous question- because this seems to be a more radical action that might cause problems with device registration and updates. So if I plug in USB devices for instance - Windows might not know how to register them and download the right info and driver. That's why I ask - wouldn't it cause problems with plug and play devices?
I am not 100% comfortable with disabling Windows driver updates. Would like to know why is it recommended exactly?

2) Regarding disabling Intel HD Graphics in BIOS:
Found this in my BIOS, quite hidden:
zyP21Is.jpg

So it seems Multi GPU isn't on.
But the Primary Display is at AUTO as BIOS defaults. Always have been.
There are these options: AUTO / iGPU or PCIE
Guess I can change it like this:
ZGLoZ5z.jpg

Should I ? Or should I leave it at auto?
(Seems to be just determining the Primary Display) I used this mobo+CPU since 2012 - never touched that setting and never had any issues. So I think Auto is best.
Perhaps there's a different setting?

3) By the way found another good solution:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
Using the tool at the bottom of the page: "Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package"
You can download it and select which updates you don't want Windows Update to suggest/download.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys? I just need to close this case down and make sure everything is set up correctly here:
1. Should I leave the BIOS setting of Primary GPU as Auto? Screenshot included.
2. I changed Windows Device Installation Settings to "NO (your device might not work properly) " - why exactly is that recommended? Won't it cause issue with plug and play and device & driver recognition?
If everything else is working properly- should I change it back to "YES (Recommended)"?

(I kept the BIOS setting as Auto (no changes) for now. Especially after finding solution 3# written above.)

Solution