Putting my Ryzen 5 build together in a few days and need some tips.

jamesjudo5

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Hey there guys I putting a new desktop together in a few days and my parts are arriving on Thursday, so here is the build.
CPU: Ryzen 1600x
GPU: GTX 1080 MINI by Zotac
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400
MOBO: ASRock X370 Taichi AM4
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) at 3000
CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO
Storage: 1 250 gb boot ssd( SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND) and one 120 GB SSD I had from my old system as well as a 7200 rpm HDD 1TB for mass storage.
Just wondering what you guys recommend in terms of mounting my water cooler as I came from air(Hyper 212 EVO) and never ventured into water cooling before. Also should I put my CPU and ram in before I install the MOBO? Last build I did I installed the mobo first but I read many people find this to be wrong? Any other advice or tips would be great it's my first build in a long time and I'm nervous.

I like top mounts, cool air in from the bottom and hot air out the top. Like natural heat convection. I will inquire as to why you are going from air to AIO? I find air coolers have much better durability than water coolers. You will not get superior cooling with a 120mm AIO over a decent air cooler. I have had two AIO's bite the dust in the 2-3 year timeframe but I have never had an air cooler fail, some running for over 10 years. But they can be nice looking.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3567477/hyper-212-led-turbo-masterliquid-lite-120.html

Here is Tom's air picks, the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 is a great deal.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

I would not install the CPU and RAM first, you run a greater risk of electrostatic discharge damaging the component. Once you install the mobo just flip the case on its side to install the CPU and RAM. Not sure what argument there is for installing first other than ease of installation.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree. Plus you run a greater risk of damaging the pins on the CPU. If it were an Intel build you could get away with it since the Intel pins are on the motherboard rather than the CPU. But with AMD, the pins are external and they are more easily damageable than you would think. It's always better to take that extra precaution than it is to rush things.