Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
Hello, world!

Recently I upgraded my PC. Here are my specs

MSi B350M Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.20 GHZ
2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
MSi NVidia GTX 1060 6GB

This graphics card has no VGA port so my old monitor became moot. I got a TV from the Chinese store and it works like a charm. Now I can run pretty much all the games I own at max settings 1080p at a more than decent framerate.

The question is, would it be worth upgrading to a better TV/monitor? I've read that 1440p is a noticeable change compared to 1080p. 4K just seems beyond reach atm. I wouldn't want to sacrifice frame rates for high resolutions, and this Chinese TV is ok for the job. However, if it is a feasible investment to get a new monitor I could just go ahead.

At the moment most of my games are quite old, which is probably why they run like water. I'm talking Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Metro 2033 and ye olde Telltale. I have AC: Unity and Shadow of Mordor but am yet to download them. Truth be told the only reason I upgraded was to play AC: Origins. I'd also like my PC to remain relevant for a couple of years.

Keeping all this in mind, should I start searching? Thanks in advance!

Solution
1440p is a very different beast to 1080p.

I upgraded to a 60Hz 1440p monitor which in turn caused me upgrade my entire PC. I went for an R9 390 which performs a tad slower than your GTX 1060.

It performs acceptably at 1440p. Demanding or poorly optimised games such as ARK: Survival Evolved or PUBG play at 45-55 FPS on generally high settings.

I have finally come to a point, though, where I've purchased a new build with a GTX 1080. I felt I want to get closer to maxxing games out when I do play them. The screen forced me into this, because games look absolutely gorgeous at 1440p. Truly a perfect resolution to play games at, and it fits a 27" screen very nicely.

I realise this probably harms your decision rather than helps, but I have...
With a GTX 1060 is will do okay but you will most likely be on Medium-high depending on the game. I'd recommend that you get a 60hz 1440p one, do not get a 120 or 144hz. As the you can simply sit back with vysnc on and no worry about variable frames rates just a locked 60fps all the time.

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
1440p is a very different beast to 1080p.

I upgraded to a 60Hz 1440p monitor which in turn caused me upgrade my entire PC. I went for an R9 390 which performs a tad slower than your GTX 1060.

It performs acceptably at 1440p. Demanding or poorly optimised games such as ARK: Survival Evolved or PUBG play at 45-55 FPS on generally high settings.

I have finally come to a point, though, where I've purchased a new build with a GTX 1080. I felt I want to get closer to maxxing games out when I do play them. The screen forced me into this, because games look absolutely gorgeous at 1440p. Truly a perfect resolution to play games at, and it fits a 27" screen very nicely.

I realise this probably harms your decision rather than helps, but I have to be honest.

To actually help you answer your question; Even though I don't regret buying the monitor not one bit, I'd say you'll be hard pressed to get everything you want out of that PC at 1440p, IF your expectations are to be anything like the fps you have currently, and to have it stay high-end for 3~ years. If I wanted the most out of my PC as you do and I was paying for a new monitor, I'd go for something like a 27" 100Hz+ 1920x1200.

If you think you'll be okay with an fps sacrifice in those RPGs, in exchange for an excellent visual experience, go for it. Buy a 100Hz+ 1440p and you could always play FPS games at 1080p if you want some extra zip.

P.S: Money is not a factor for me at this time, but I don't just waste it. I've stuck with my choice for over 2 years without a problem and could honestly stick with it longer if I didn't have the means to upgrade again.

Solution