Fall Creator's Update crash at around 33%

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Fall Creator's Update is a nightmare to install. I've tried at least 4 times to install it, and it crashes every time. Worst, Windows Update redownloads the whole thing all over again after it recovers my previous OS. I have Windows 10 64-bit updated to the latest version before this upgrade. My drivers seem to be up to date. I have a desktop computer with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard updated to F10b bios, which is the latest on their site. I found an F10 bios online, but I don't know how official it is, and that one crashes my computer when I wake from sleep. Both of those are the only ones that don't freeze at boot when I have my Logitech webcam plugged in. Intel i5-4670K CPU. I also have Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card and GTX 970 graphics card. 8GB ram. I had about 25GB free on SSD, but it's down to 21.6GB after disk cleanup including Windows update files. Onboard audio and graphics were disabled in bios, but with all of the crashes, bios asked to reset to optimized defaults, so I let it. It didn't help with the crashes.

The first crash was unremarkable. It made it 33% and then crashed, restarted, recovered, and I was annoyed.

The second time I updated and it crashed at 33% again, and it got stuck in a restart loop. I couldn't stop it from doing that, but it seemed to fix itself when I left it powered off for 10 minutes.

The third time, I tried using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool because I thought then I wouldn't have to redownload the update over and over when it failed. I updated and it crashed at 33%. This time it would boot up to a black screen with no bios. And the only way I could fix it was switching to my backup BIOS. Then I attempted to reinstall the same version bios over the main one that wasn't working, and that seemed to work. Since it kept crashing at 33% when it seemed like the video driver was kicking in, I assumed it was my graphics card or driver, so I uninstalled Nvidia drivers and software, and when that didn't work, I completely removed the card from my motherboard, but Windows Update still decided to download drivers for it even though the card wasn't connected to the motherboard, and I'd ran a driver sweeper and registry cleaner.

So the fourth time I tried updating, my GPU was unplugged and I was using Intel HD graphics, and it still crashed at 33%. And this time, when I went to bios, it said my bios was corrupted and copied my backup bios (version F9) to main, which I then updated to F10b. And I see the failed update uninstalled CCleaner. I don't know what else it may have messed up.

Anyone else go through this hell and can they guide me in the right direction? The constant redownloading and BIOS issues are what's really annoying me. I can't find any crash dumps either.