RX 580 or GTX 1060 for online gaming & RTS?

guy.gervais

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Which one?
The MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 GAMING X 8G or the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Both cards are about the same price. I have a MSI B350 PC Mate MOBO, an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU & 16 GB DDR4 RAM if that makes any difference. I'm
currently using a NVidia GTX 1050 TI 4 GB. I mostly play games like XCOM 2, WOW & ESO. Will I see a difference or should I keep the 1050?

Thank you!

from 1050 ti to those two cards is not a big improvement other than details. Your games are not that gpu demanding. Are you happy with the performance? If so, wait and get 1070 + a 1080p 144Hz monitor :)

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
I know for WoW you will se almost no difference. A 1050 Ti should be able to handle even that pretty well. I haven't played ESO in a long time but judging by the fact that my 2012 Macbook pro ran it just fine when it came out, i'd say you won't see much of an increase there either.

At this point I don't think it's worth the jump. Unless you are regularly playing AAA titles, the 1050 Ti should be able to handle the games you are playing with the exception of XCOM 2.

Both have similar performance. Do you see yourself wanting a 144hz monitor with frame syncing in the near future? Monitors which support Freesync (AMD) are a lot cheaper than those which support GSync (nVidia). Factor that into your decision process.

On average you should get around 40+% higher FPS. Certainly a significant boost.

Edit: Looking at this Guru3D review. The gain is even higher. Around 55% at 1920x1080. As to whether it is worth it. That is up to you and if you are happy with your current performance.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1050_ti_g1_gaming_oc_review,1.html