If I take disconnect the external hard drive, there's a black screen when Windows starts

sally_91

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Hi, I'm in the process of troubleshooting new and old RAM.

But in the midst of all that, when I either start the computer cold or restart it, there's a black screen that appears in between the "Windows Starting" screen and the log in screen.

It lasts for about a minute and only recently started happening.

But if I keep the external hard drive plugged in, there isn't a black screen?

In the BIOS, The boot priority is the OS drive at #2, and the external hard drive at #1.
It says "UEFI:" before its name.

I also tried making the OS drive #1, and disabling the #2 boot priority.

Your first sentence makes no sense whatsoever. If you're having problems with your system's memory in one form or another, then everything that follows in your post is meaningless. So perhaps you might want to explain these "problems" in some detail and what your "troubleshooting" entails and how it impacts the problem(s) you describe that follow.

And while you're at it you might want to describe your system in some detail, e.g., the components that make up your system, the OS, some attempt to provide potential responders to your query with a clear picture of what we're working with here and the precise nature of your problem(s).

Please understand that no one can provide a sensible response to your query based on the information you provided re your problem. You've got to provide a clear picture of the system you're working with together with a precise description of the nature/details of your problem and what steps you've taken to resolve the problem.

sally_91

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012

I only noticed the "problem" when I started fiddling around with the RAM. If there's any actual connection, I don't know.
I had the external hard drive plugged in when I turned off the PC to install the new RAM. I also reset the CMOS in the process. After installing the new RAM, I turned on the computer to find that there was a long wait in between the "Windows Starting" screen and the log in screen. I had a feeling that maybe the external hard drive had a part in this. So I plugged it in and restarted the computer. Low and behold, the black screen went away.

I just don't want the PC to be dependent on an external hard drive being plugged in all the time.

My system is comprised of:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Form factor: Micro ATX
Socket: Socket LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge
CPU Speed: 3400 MHz
Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR3 Module
Storage: 1 x SSD
PCI Card: 1 x High-End Sound Card
Other Device: WiFi USB adapter
Keyboard: 1 x USB Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x USB Mouse
Fan: 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
Computer Utilization: Always On (24/7)
Monitor: 1 x LED 23 inches

I haven't taken many steps to remedy the situation besides posting this thread on this forum.

1. While I'm still not at all entirely clear on your "fiddling around with the RAM" (what reason did you have for installing the "new RAM"?), I'm going to assume there are no memory problems. You can check this out with the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool in your Win 7 OS if you prefer, or use one of the other memory diagnostic programs available on the net.

2. Please understand that the OS WILL boot more slowly in many cases when a USBEHD is connected to the system upon bootup. It's not at all unusual. The delay (if there is one) should not be much more than a few seconds - practically imperceptible to most users. But you're apparently indicating there was (is) a "long wait" for the bootup process to complete when the USBEHD is connected - as compared with when it is not connected. Can you translate that into actual seconds of "waiting time" on a comparative basis?

3. Another factor re the bootup delay under these circumstances is the USBEHD device itself. It could be the enclosed HDD or the USB external enclosure itself. You didn't indicate the make/model of the device. I'm assuming it's one of those typical "one-piece" commercial products that so many users purchase. We always recommend a user purchase a HDD (or SSD) of his/her choice together with a separate USB external enclosure rather than the commercial products. The advantages of such are considerable.

4. In any event, you might want to test the external HDD with a HDD diagnostic program - preferably one available from the device's manufacturer, or some other of your choice to determine if there are any problems with the drive itself. If practical, i.e., you can remove the HDD from the enclosure and the drive is equipped with standard SATA data/power connectors, connect it internally in your system as a secondary drive and see how it performs that way.

5. I realize I haven't specifically addressed your "black screen" problem. If that problem continues to exist, please so indicate.