I would like an opinion on how to proceed with my HDD situation

pluupy

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Recently, my WD Caviar 2TB HDD completely failed. This drive was where I stored all of my files while my Windows installation was on a tiny 120GB SSD.

Thanks to some noises that warned me of it's impending death, I was able to back-up my files to another drive, a Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD. I was also able to RMA the 2TB drive thanks to Western Digital's 5-year warranty and was gracefully given a brand new drive of a newer model.

My problem, however, arises from the Seagate 3TB drive. This drive died off not soon after I had received it from my brother, who stated that he never used it. All of my files from the past 15 years gone. No suspicious noises. It just stopped working one day while I was playing a video game.

The Seagate 3TB drive now produces the same noise as shown in this video below (3:55).

I have a brand new 2TB drive but all of my files are gone. I am willing to fix the HDD if I can get a diagnosis on the issue. I'm not sure how to proceed. What do you guys think?

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGBWlNtubnA&feature=youtu.be&t=3m55s"][/video]

USAFRet

Titan

If the OS can't see it, not much you can do with it.
If it's still under warranty, RMA. If not, fridge magnet donor.

Your data?
That's what backups are for.

pluupy

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
Do you know what hardware error it is experiencing? I think it looks like the head is stuck. I have no problem with setting up an environment to repair the head.

USAFRet

Titan

Just opening it up will likely make things worse.

pluupy

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
The only problem with opening up hard drives is preventing particles from entering and potentially touching the platter (causing bad sectors). Even if I were to encounter bad sectors, I would still be able to recover partial data rather than none at all.

USAFRet

Titan

And also putting the cover back on.
That often requires specific torque values on the screws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CAn22TiVV0

2 solutions:
1. Send it off to a data recovery company. This may cost significant $$.

2. Open it up and mess with it. It's already dead. It won't get any more dead.