Problems after Fall creators update

pinefang

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Word of warning, I forced a download of 1709 which I believe is the fall creators update. After doing so my fan control software Corsair 4 stop showing my system temps and the status of all my fans. I called Corsair but they were no help after two calls. At one point as I tried to diagnose my problem i got in to a routine of re booting my machine but with every reboot more and more problems appeared. It finally stop booting into windows. When I did some DOS commands for DIR I could not get drive C: to appear. It appeared as drive X: and could not figure out what to do so I reloaded my original Win10 pro. After a week of reloading my files and all of the associated downloads my system appears to be stable again and Corsair is running as it should. I have to say that I am deathly afraid of my system downloading the Fall creators update as I don't want to spend all that time once again reloading everything. How can I make sure my system does not download and install 1709?

Solution
Ok yeah that is a little different then doing a force install.

However, that is not recommended because Microsoft will do "very basic testing" before releasing it via Windows Updates. If you downloaded it prior to that, it could still have had issues that weren't patched out yet.

I would only download updates officially from Windows Updates. Only reason to download from the website is things like hotfixes. So this time around, try downing it the normal way via Windows Updates. I suspect you will be OK. (however, I still recommend you backing a backup).
The real question is why did you "force install" the update? If you have to force install any update then there was a larger issue at hand. Like Windows Updates not working properly and if thats the case. Again, a larger issues was present.

Why was a force install of the update needed?

As to answer your question. There is no way to "make sure" updates dont break a system. The best you can do is create a system backup to an external source and then perform the update. I'd recommend free backup program called Veeam Agent for Windows and backup to your choice of media source, like an external hard drive.

pinefang

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Maybe I used the wrong terminology by saying I forced the download. I simply did not want to wait until the rollout occurred so went to the download page and downloaded it myself rather than waiting for it to come around to my computer. Hope that cleared up any misunderstanding.

Ok yeah that is a little different then doing a force install.

However, that is not recommended because Microsoft will do "very basic testing" before releasing it via Windows Updates. If you downloaded it prior to that, it could still have had issues that weren't patched out yet.

I would only download updates officially from Windows Updates. Only reason to download from the website is things like hotfixes. So this time around, try downing it the normal way via Windows Updates. I suspect you will be OK. (however, I still recommend you backing a backup).

Solution