i5 750 vs i3 4160

musahssi666

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Hi,
my friend have just given me his old pc (which have busted gpu) and now I'm wondering if I should switch some components with my system.

My Rig:
CPU: i3 4160
MOBO: msi h81m-p33
RAM: 8 gb ( 2 x 4gb) 2400mhz ddr3 Kingston Hyper x Savage (which is working at 1600mhz because it can't oc on this platform)
GPU: gtx 760 2gb
https://imgur.com/GrjftoH

His Rig:
CPU: i5 750
MOBO: asus p7p55d pro
RAM: 6 gb ( 3 x 2gb) 1600mhz CORSAIR XMS3
https://imgur.com/cnGB4sY

So I was wondering if there is point in putting RAM and GPU from MY RIG into HIS.
Would like to try OC that cpu and (if possible) ram too.
What OC results can be expected and would that resulted in better fps in games?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Per passmark.com your i3 processor is stronger than his i5. Based on this alone I would say there is no benefit to swapping components.
I don't OC so won't speak to whether that will help FPS at all.

Most games would probably run better on your current rig due to the i3 4160 having considerably better single core performance than the i5 750. On some newer heavily multithreaded titles, if you overclock the i5 750 up to around 4.0GHz, the i5 750 might have a bit of an edge due to having more physical cores and the overclock would help even up the per core performance numbers a bit. That said, it's moving to a really outdated platform that will be missing a lot of features like 6Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 support.

Overall, you're probably better off staying with what you have. The i5 750 is quite old now and isn't the greatest gaming CPU even with a heavy overclock. There are a few newer games where an i5 750 with a very heavy overclock might do slightly better, but it isn't really worth it.

musahssi666

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Thanks for fast answer.

Does anyone know if that Asus P7P55D pro work with XENON? It isn't listed on official ASUS but I'm wondering if anyone tried. Those CPU's are basically i7 and are really cheap on ebay.