Many different BSOD's

mjconner

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
I recently got a new motherboard and cpu for my computer ( a MSI B350M pro-vdh and a ryzen 3 1300x ) however since I've done this I've been plagued by many BSOD's, I've made a list of the ones I've gotten in the past day: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_HEADER, DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, and KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE. Now at first I thought it may have been my ram but it was working fine with my old mobo and cpu and after booting with each individual stick and still getting bsod's at some point I'm starting to think maybe it's the motherboard. So far I've tried completely wiping my hard drive and reinstalling windows (I'm using windows 10), I made sure all of my drivers are up to date, I've made sure windows is up to date, I disabled fast startup, I've run memory diagnostics a few times which never said there were errors however when my computer rebooted after they were done it always ended in a memory management bsod, I tried opening the console and running sfc /scannow which never found any problems, and I've tried running chkdsk /r which gets up to 15% in a minute or so and then stalls out, I tried it a couple times letting it run a few hours but never passing 15%. So before I drop a bunch of money on new ram or send my motherboard back I'd like to know if I've missed anything or if I should try anything else, any advice is appreciated.

Solution
you need to update your bios version to the current version. Then you need to apply the driver updates from your motherboard vendors website.

Reason: you have a bios date of 4/27/2017 and a ryzen cpu. bugs in the microcode of the cpu were fixed in bios patches and in the windows CPU dll file that does not seem to be installed on your machine.
(should be in a windows update or provided by a cpu chipset update at the motherboard vendors website)

after you do these updates, you should retest to see if you still get a failure.

after the update you might want to run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

what hdd do you have? its size will determine how long chkdsk /r runs as if its several TB, it might be a while as it scans the drive. Be patient

mjconner

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
I did that and I think I had a file in there before I changed it to minidump but when I last got a bluescreen I had a chain of them so I have a bunch of files from that folder. I uploaded them all to dropbox I have no idea what they mean but here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qash6go1e5enj7q/120817-6218-01.dmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70nm4m8fo87ptuu/120917-6750-01.dmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgn1y7n9nks5jjn/120917-6890-01.dmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s84ig288luf7xp2/120917-8046-01.dmp?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23nqlarih01oecl/120917-8937-01.dmp?dl=0

Also I'm using a 256GB ssd, now it stalls out at 11% and I've tried leaving it a few hours
I've also got some new BSOD's too, they are Unexpected_store_exception, page_fault_in_nonpaged_area, and critical_structure_corruption. Again any help is appreciated.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/5yTj.html

File: 120917-8937-01.dmp (Dec 9 2017 - 15:49:06)
BugCheck: [CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File: 120917-8046-01.dmp (Dec 9 2017 - 16:18:18)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: backgroundTask)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File: 120917-6890-01.dmp (Dec 9 2017 - 16:12:59)
BugCheck: [BugCheck 1C7, {0, ffff8f8370307000, 30ec3ae2, 10139c} (1C7)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File: 120917-6750-01.dmp (Dec 9 2017 - 16:14:40)
BugCheck: [MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: vsserv.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File: 120817-6218-01.dmp (Dec 9 2017 - 00:52:34)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)
I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

you need to update your bios version to the current version. Then you need to apply the driver updates from your motherboard vendors website.

Reason: you have a bios date of 4/27/2017 and a ryzen cpu. bugs in the microcode of the cpu were fixed in bios patches and in the windows CPU dll file that does not seem to be installed on your machine.
(should be in a windows update or provided by a cpu chipset update at the motherboard vendors website)

after you do these updates, you should retest to see if you still get a failure.

after the update you might want to run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
You aren't supposed to run chkdsk /r on an ssd, it won't work. run chkdsk /f instead. chkdsk /r fixes sectors... thing is ssd don't have sectors, so /r shouldn't be doing anything on an ssd. It also shouldn't take that long to run on 256gb

none of the drivers loaded are old or obvious clues as to why this happens.

Did you run memtest86 on your ram sticks? One stick at a time, 7 passes or so. Any mroe than 0 errors is too many and shows stick should be removed or replaced. It makes a bootable USB so can be run outside of windows