No hdmi cable detected by Dell monitor

lukeshiley67

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Hello. I have been looking for a solution to this online, but I cant seem to find anything so I will ask here.
Recently, I bought a new gtx 1050 ti and put it in the computer, then when I turned it on, my monitor said something along the lines of no hdmi cable, going to sleep in 5 minutes. I tried having the hdmi go from monitor to old integrated graphics slot and graphics card but neither slot worked.
I thought it could be an issue with the computer itself, but when I plugged it into my tv, everything worked fine. So I installed everything nvidia told me to, and then tried plugging hdmi from the graphics card to the monitor again, and it didnt work. I tried plugging it from graphics card to tv, and it worked fine.
So its probably a monitor issue, but the monitor was working fine 2 days ago before I installed the graphics card andI didnt do anything to the monitor other than unplug and replug the hdmi and/or power to try to get it working. The power cable is working fine also. Any ideas?

Computer: Lenovo ideacentre k450
Old graphics: Intel integrated graphics 4600
New graphics: evga gtx 1050 ti
Monitor: Dell S2440L

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Did you remember to actually download the driver for your GPU.. Go to the manufactures website and download the newest driver for the 1050 ti, but if not, its your monitor.

Try another monitor, and when you plug your monitor in, make sure its in the right input, like press (Most monitors have this) Auto Input, where it will detect any input going into it. Good luck.

lukeshiley67

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

Thanks for replying. I do have the latest drive and I tried my tv because I didnt have another monitor. When I was trying the monitor, I tried both auto select and hdmi, but neither work. I dont think my monitor is broken though because it was working just 2 days ago before installing the graphics card, and I didnt even really touch the monitor at all.

Something interesting happened though as I was messing around with it again. I had the monitor unplugged, and the I turned on the computer and plugged the hdmi cord into the graphics card and the monitor. Then, I plugged in the monitor, and nothing happened for a little bit. I unplugged the hdmi from the monitor, and then magically, the Dell loading screen for the monitor popped up for a few seconds. Then it went back to "no hdmi cable"