Windows on mobo but i have a new hdd

JETSTAIN777

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Hi i am building a pc for a friend thats using some of my old parts. and the motherboard i have has windows 10 and i was wondering if and when i got a new hard drive can i reinstall that windows into that hard drive or would i have to buy a new copy of windows for it.
Thanks for any answers and help :D

Solution
If there was an install of Win 10 on that motherboard, you can always reinstall win 10 on it again - unless you link it to an email address or used a login in last 2 years that is linked to an email address, as then the install might be linked to that email address, and not motherboard - you can login to your account on Microsoft web site and check what devices linked there.

If its still attached to motherboard, all you need to do is download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and install win 10 on hdd,

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Colif

Win 11 Master
If there was an install of Win 10 on that motherboard, you can always reinstall win 10 on it again - unless you link it to an email address or used a login in last 2 years that is linked to an email address, as then the install might be linked to that email address, and not motherboard - you can login to your account on Microsoft web site and check what devices linked there.

If its still attached to motherboard, all you need to do is download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and install win 10 on hdd,

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Solution

JETSTAIN777

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

Ah okay thank you very much