Can't Boot off of a Windows 10 USB 3.0 Flash Drive

alex589

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Yesterday I made a post about my PC having a virus that wouldn't let me reset to factory settings or go to a restore point, so I was advised to boot off a USB drive that has only Windows 10 on it. So I installed Windows 10 off of Microsoft's media creation tool page on their website and completed the installation process. After it said it was finished installing, i unplugged the USB from the laptop i was installing it on and plugged it into the PC i was trying to reinstall windows on. I opened up the UEFI after plugging in the USB and changed it to the #1 boot option, but when i saved and exited, all I saw was a black screen with a blinking underscore. I made sure everything was right in the UEFI settings (as far as I know). I also tried looking up other solutions but none have seemed to match my issue. If anybody has a solution please reply.

Solution
what motherboard do you have in the PC? Its possible you need to turn other settings off in UEFI before it will boot off the USB. If it has a setting like Fast boot, it might ignore all USB devices except kb/mouse at boot up. Secure boot might also stop it booting USB.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have in the PC? Its possible you need to turn other settings off in UEFI before it will boot off the USB. If it has a setting like Fast boot, it might ignore all USB devices except kb/mouse at boot up. Secure boot might also stop it booting USB.

Solution

alex589

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

Yeah I have secure boot turned off along with fast boot off. I have an Asrock H97M Pro4 motherboard.